Intu - Broad Marsh What do you think?

Firstly the sooner something is done the better

Secondly we don't want another Trinity Square eyesore

Thirdly we don't want another multi cinima

Fourthly we want some decent shops !

What I do agree with is a need to revamp the Drury Hill entrance. How about some Georgian Style buildings plus another Black Boy?

Quite a few people might think a multi-screen cinema is a good idea. Better than more student apartments. Do we want more shops? You could argue there are enough in the city centre already, and quite a few of them empty.

It seems that intu are thinking along the lines of it being an entertainment centre rather than a shopping centre, which might be a better move

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Caves-leisure-new-look-Broadmarsh/story-26292069-detail/story.html

I've read many posts on Nottstalgia regarding the poor state of Broad Marsh. Having hardly ever going into the place I can't comment but having read the Nottingham Post report I think it's a really good thing what is planned for it. When it's finished, and being so close to the railway station, I think it could be a big success.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Caves-leisure-new-look-Broadmarsh/story-26292069-detail/story.html

I used to prefer Broadmarsh to Victoria Centre but these past few years it is truly appalling. Virtually everything is closed down and it is always completely dead. Only time I go in there really is to either as Malcolm said, visit the loo or visit the cheap bookshop they have in there. That I will miss when it all changes.

• Upvote 3

I think it must be about 15 years since I visited Broad Marsh Centre. I remember going down into the caves underneath the centre and we were provided with a recorded commentry all about the tanning works down there and the history of how the caves were used. It was good. I hope that any alterations to the centre will still retain this. It was interesting because it showed social history of the city.

• Upvote 1

So far plan appears to be reduction in size of the centre along with the recreation of some missing street layouts. Existing bus station and multi storey car park will receive makeover while the Arndale NCP car park will be demolished to make way for the new traffic and road layout.

This will see Canal Street partially pedestrianised and Colin Street fully pedestrianised to create the eventual gateway from the Railway station into the city centre. Long term plans include partial pedestrianisation of Station Street and Carrington Street too.

The plans also include finally getting round to building the tram stop for Broadmarsh which used to be included on early tram maps as future station site.

Peoples College building and site will be demolished and redeveloped primarily to accommodate the new road layout due to the pedestrianisation schemes but will mark a significant step to reversing some of the effectsthe constriction of Maid Marion Way and associated buildings have had on the centre of Nottingham.

Nottingham Caves will have a new relocated entrance with a more prominent position within the new Broadmarsh Centre layout with possible expansion into currently unused sections of the cave network currently underneath Broadmarsh Centre but unable to access due to the building and layout of the existing shopping centre structure.

• Upvote 1

Once a 5hit hole, always a 5hit hole. Give me Viccy Centre or Intu at Derby any day.

• Upvote 1

C & A was responsible for my absolute abhorrence of shopping with my mother in the early to mid 50's. It was so hot inside that I was often on the verge of passing out. I couldn't believe my luck when one day she made me wait outside. Paradise !!!!

H & M isn't too bad. Something different from Burton, Warehouse, Top Man, Next etc, etc.

H of F man myself.

And reopen the Don Juan, Belvedere, Toreador, Jules et Jim, Dungeon, Beachcomber, Black Boy, Albert Hotel, and the Bohemian.

Yes I'm dreaming. Great memories !!!!!

• Upvote 1

Kendaldrac and Michael, many thanks for the detail about the proposals for the Broad Marsh caves. This sounds like good news. An entrance in a more prominent position and opening up more caves should be a big improvement. When I visited the caves the only thing that I found off-putting was the parts where you looked up and saw the underneath of the concrete building above.

Intu will build as planned and essentially it'll more of the same, just more glitzed-up and set out to make them money. I agree in an ideal world Broadmarsh should probably be flattened. There is simply no need for a second shopping centre, there are already more than enough shops. Many of the shops would just be duplicates of those in Vic Centre anyway, as national chains will always have a presence in both. I can't see the need for another cinema complex either. The caves could be a stand-alone attraction.

I can understand the idea of a pedestrianised gateway into the city centre. But hypothetically, if it were flattened, just an off the wall idea, to complement this I'd replace Broadmarsh with a park-type green space with a lake, water features, some wild-life, a place to sit and relax, get something to eat, pehaps some entertainment, music, street entertainers, a play area for kids etc etc...a nice respite after traipsing round endless shops. Just musing though!!

• Upvote 1

I have just read "Narrow Marsh" . Its a good read and tells you much about the area.

I am not convinced that they have got the design right yet . I do agree though that a public open space with some trees and seating would be beneficial to the area.

• 2 months later...

It's been announced the council have approved plans for the new £114m centre. To include restaurants and a cinema, with a new entrance on Middle Hill. Pretty much as expected then, at least an improvement on the present.