Allotments Russell Drive Wollaton

What's happening with the latest Planning Application to build on this site?

What's the status of this allotment site is it protected by law as a permanent(protected) site?

And how well used are the allotments?

I think there is still a need for allotments if the waiting list at Charnwood is anything to go by.

I have had my allotment for almost ten years now & every time a plot is vacated there is always someone to take it on.

Having visited Martins Pond recently it looks as if many Allotments are not in use. Is that because of the impending building?

I can well understand the reason why the building work should have been approved but they need to get on with it. If new allotments are provided they should be done before any building is commenced.

Unfortunately a large number of those allotments had been left in wills to people who had no interest in using them much like the ones on western Boulevard. It was, therefore, quite easy to demonstrate that they weren't needed which is one of the tests. They had been underused for at least 20 years as the owners wouldn't sell as they expected to get a decent payday when they were sold off. I know of at least one who bought every one that was made available and will get over £100k for them now.

• 9 months later...

The situation regarding planning on this site is long and complex. It has been going on for 20 years, but the most recent attempt for the owners to gain planning consent has taken place over the last 5 or so, culminating in approval being granted on Appeal for up to 110 houses, public open space plus wildlife area, and residual allotments; these areas each account for one-third of the 27-acre site. For the history of the site, the planning situation, work in progress and biodiversity, please see my website at :

http://losttheplots.wix.com/beforethebulldozerdiversity

Please enjoy a trip round the wonderful allotment site via the many images on the website.

Hope I've put the link in correctly; if not, please advise!.