Of mice and juke boxes.....

The other week the family visited from Wales. The kids spotted my jukebox in the big shed and asked if they could have a go on it. I proudly plugged it in and switched it on - BANG! went the circuit breaker and that was that. No entertainemnt for the kiddies.

A quick peek inside showed there to be a large rmouse nest in the works, so it was put away until a later date; that date was yesterday. I pulled it to pieces and cleared out the nest before inspecting for damage. I eventually discovered a missing piece of cable. The mice had bitten off a length of three core, screened cable that connected the tone arm to the amplifier. A small length remained at either end. The trailing bit had short circuited to the frame when I switched on.

An hour later and the cable was repaired using a piece of very old telephone cable. The remainder of the afternoon was spent listening to 1960s and 70s records using the very satisfying clunky, chunky juke box selector buttons. Luvverly! :)

Anyone else have mice problems?

• Upvote 4

Got thousands of the little sods in our workshop at work, the workshop is half a converted barn trouble is the local farmer uses the other half to store his harvested oats and as a result the little darlings have food,shelter and a safe area away from predators

Rog

We don't get mouse problems either, Catfan, except when our 2 little darlings bring them into the house overnight.

• Upvote 1

Compo, is there anything in your eclectic collection that you don't have? Your place sounds like a veritable Aladdins cave and I'm sure that quite a few of us on here would love a rummage around.Good job you live so far away and are safe from a bus load of us dropping in!!

• Upvote 3

Caught five of the miserable little so and so's in my shed. Now leave a mousetrap permanently set. Thats o-k as long as I don't step on it like I did last week. Lol. Only good thing is that snakes like to eat mice so their pesence probably indicates that I have no snakes.

We haven't had a problem with mice perhaps because of the cats, but others around here have. They put sticky pads down on the garage floor which catch both mice and scorpions. One friend said he catches many mice this way, once the mouse only got partly stuck and was clumping its way round the garage on 2 legs.

• Upvote 1

The other week the family visited from Wales. The kids spotted my jukebox in the big shed and asked if they could have a go on it. I proudly plugged it in and switched it on - BANG! went the circuit breaker and that was that. No entertainemnt for the kiddies.

A quick peek inside showed there to be a large rmouse nest in the works, so it was put away until a later date; that date was yesterday. I pulled it to pieces and cleared out the nest before inspecting for damage. I eventually discovered a missing piece of cable. The mice had bitten off a length of three core, screened cable that connected the tone arm to the amplifier. A small length remained at either end. The trailing bit had short circuited to the frame when I switched on.

An hour later and the cable was repaired using a piece of very old telephone cable. The remainder of the afternoon was spent listening to 1960s and 70s records using the very satisfying clunky, chunky juke box selector buttons. Luvverly! :)

Anyone else have mice problems?

Did yer play sommat from ELO teee heeee

used to buy lots and lots of 45's from a woman who used to go around changing the records in J/boxes always ran out for the spiders mice didn't fit.....

• 2 weeks later...

#9: As a matter of fact, I do have an ELO record on that juke box....Hold on Tight To Your Dreams. I played it the other day. My second juke box is currently out of order. It needs a new selector circuit and I have been unable to find one. I don't have the facilities to test the parts and teh nearest Juke Box restorer is in Glasgow almost 300 miles south.

oh right .... wow thought it was a typo error ....right down south me ... my friend has a pinball table in his garage ... and a space invaders table in his so called den.. at least the games were playable .then.. my son has the x box etc, wouldn't know where to start give me chuckkie egg on the BBc micro anyday

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Compo,I love jukeboxes,I used to have four,but sold one,still have three.,not many modern music players will still be working after 50 odd years.I don't have mice in mine but one was full of wood lice,I had to vacuum them out.

• Upvote 1

I remember one in a cafe in Bulwell that was full of BEATLES yeh yeh yeh

Rog

• Upvote 2

used to go to carlton forum often swim play t- tennis etc the only record I can remember being played was.......... BIG SIX .. the boy stood on the burning deck....

• 2 months later...

I remember one in a cafe in Bulwell that was full of BEATLES yeh yeh yeh

Rog

That would be the 'Penguin' Rog,............the only one i remember that took 3 pennybits.

Just thought of another.....the MOO COW.

and another, Cafe by the river near Beeston Weir.

First Juke box i put money in,in a PUB was the White Lion corner of Carlton rd nr Handel st,.......sad thing is i remember the record and its number on the Juke box,.............'Teenage Idol' Ricky Nelson' N5,...Must have been 1963.