Front or top loader, which is better?

QUOTE COLLY. Benjamin,you have symmetrical even end thrust.

i thought it was just the way i stood..............

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funnily enough only yesterday Mrs Catfan asked me to check if the washing machine had finished doing it's thing, on checking I replied, no the machine is empty, can't be she said I've got a load of Wh

Bearings,end thrusts,trepanners,side thrusts,and shearers,...........colly0410 you are def. another Ayupmeduck....lol.

When we moved into our present home almost 2 years ago, we inherited a huge front loader washer raised up on a drawer, as well as a matching dryer. I can do a cycle in tge washer in as little as 38 mi

I was an electrician Steve, our forces "wuz difrunt"...LOL

Been looking online & top loaders are about 2 to 3 times more expensive than front loaders in UK. Front loaders start at less than £200, the top loaders are about £700-800, in USA it seems to be the other way round. That'd explain the difference: Brits can't afford top loaders & Americans can't afford front loaders..

I'd say the reasons are top loaders are larger Steve, plus most houses here have large garages or a laundry that will accomadate a washing machine. I've never seen a house over here with a washing machine in the kitchen.

Another reason may be people would sooner stand up and toss the washing in the top than bend over to load. There's also less maintenance problems with top loaders, aka bearing problems.

When we lived in Sacramento, the washing machine hook up was in the twin car garage, at Mt Aukum the W/M was in the laundry, here I built a laundry when I was building the house. Every house I've been in has it the way I explained.

Not sure on apartments, but some I've heard of have a laundry room with machines for the renters.

In the council house where we lived in Bilborough there was a gas copper and a blue/grey washing machine that stood on legs and had a big black paddle in the middle that turned. The wringer was separate and fixed on the edge of the sink. I had forgotten about this until I read your post Ayupmeducks! This machine was then replaced with another top loader, a Servis machine and we chose the one with a red door. I was allowed to choose! It had a lid that went on the top giving a bit of extra worktop but it was higher than the rest of the worktop in the kitchen. When I got married my parents insisted on buying us a front loading automatic washing machine, a Servis. It fit under the work top in our kitchen diner. We both worked full time so this was great. Then we decided we needed a tumble dryer. No room in the kitchen so it went on a little trolley that my husband made and it was kept in the cupboard under the stairs. To use the dryer I wheeled it down the hall and stuck the pipe out through the letter box. It worked well. We always used it in the evening on " economy 7" so no problem for the postman! When we moved we chose a house with a kitchen that would take all the appliances as the car goes in the garage.

• Upvote 1

We had a fully automatic washer in the early 1950's, my Dad called it Lill, and I called it Mam, she operated a "dolley tub and ponch" then the washing went over to the sink where she had the "mangle" aka wringer squeeze the water out the clothes. Once all done the dirty soapy water was thrown out, and clean rinse water was used.

Mam eventually rented a Hoover twin tub from Wigfalls, but that wasn't until the 1960's when money wasn't so tight.

That was later replaced by a newer twin tub on the "never never"

I was yabbering to an electrical repair bloke t'other day, asked his advice on best washer to get? He says to buy the cheapest you can find from Tesco, Asda, Curies ect & bin it when it conks out & buy another cheapo. Says it works out cheaper on average than buying an expensive one for 4 or 5 times the cost of a cheapo..

But you still insert them from the back don't you Chulla. Never took much notice myself being a leg man !!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

So back to laundry equipment!

We have inherited a washing machine and tumble dryer in the property we've recently bought in France.

I've never seen machines like this before ......... they are top loading but the drums are mounted as if they are front loading. You lift the lid and have to open the drums with a catch. The washer is a Whirlpool and the dryer is Brandt and they are space-saving and not as big as the machines we have in the UK. Not tried to use them yet but it could be interesting when I do.

• Upvote 2

Put hubbies clothes in first to try it out !!!!!!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Been yabbering to someone at work, & they said they had a twin tub washer & it had an impeller thing in the side of the tub instead of the paddle thing in the middle. Can't remember seeing owt like that..

Didn't the Hoover twin tubs have the side impeller.???

I thought so Steve, my late Mum had Hoovers, and our last washing machine just before I migrated was a Hoover twin tub.

That takes me back, Bubblewrap. My mum had a dolly tub and a dolly peg like that in our scullery. She was so small. She had to stand on a chair to do the work..

I think the first thing she'd do with it, is put your head through it bubblewrap...LOL

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap, #45, how come theres a musical instrument leaning on your washing machine.....LOL

• Upvote 1