Front or top loader, which is better?

Up till the mid 70's Mam had a twin tub washer (Service I think) it had a paddle that went one way then t'other, the washing was then transferred to a spin dryer & water hosed on to rinse it. Cleanest stuff went in first then next cleanest & ditched stuff last.

When the twin tub sprung a leak & flooded the kitchen it was replaced with a top loading automatic, it had a paddle inside of a giant spin dryer, a sort of twin tub in one, I believe this type is popular in USA. SWMBO & I have always had a front loader type washer & have it under the kitchen worktop.... BUT which is better?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funnily enough only yesterday Mrs Catfan asked me to check if the washing machine had finished doing it's thing, on checking I replied, no the machine is empty, can't be she said I've got a load of Wh

Bearings,end thrusts,trepanners,side thrusts,and shearers,...........colly0410 you are def. another Ayupmeduck....lol.

When we moved into our present home almost 2 years ago, we inherited a huge front loader washer raised up on a drawer, as well as a matching dryer. I can do a cycle in tge washer in as little as 38 mi

I used to have a front loader over there, but when we moved here, they were virtually unheard of, so we've always had a top loader. I must say I do prefer them, you can get quite a big load of washing in them. Using my ma-in-laws machine on trips back there, I found they hardly fitted anything in. Front loaders are getting popular here now but the drum is huge. Having a laundry room helps, you don't have to fit the machine under the work surface.

The majority of top loaders stateside are all made by one company, with the "label" companies logo and their little extras, like an extra speed etc. Motor gearbox and inards are all identical..Makes for easy repairing, salvage parts from an old worn out washer.

I think I prefer top loading, I'd always be nervous of the front door seal failing on a front loading machine.

IST wife in the 60s seemed to be ok with the 'Copper','Ponch' and 'Dolly Tub'........think her head was turned by some flash bloke' who offered her a 'Top loader'.......

• Upvote 2

Warrabaht the fancy "spin drier"?? The wringer....LOL

Re #6, he probably had a bigger and better selection of ties !!!!

• Upvote 3

A top loader was always considered to be the better machine because it was able to take a bigger load and spin faster than a front loader due, I believe, to the bearings being horizontal and situated at the base of the drum, with a front loader the bearings are vertical and situated at the rear of the drum. Front loaders became popular due to being able to fit under worktops in fitted kitchens.

• Upvote 1

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about VHS recorders !

• Upvote 1

Used to service Hoover Keymatics when I lived in Nottingham. Probably one of the earliest autos. They were controlled by a device known as a program switch. Basically a rotary switch that turned on various functions at the right time. They loaded on an angle. Did seem to have a few problems with bearings. When they were going it began to sound like a cement mixer. If folks let it go on they would collapse and the drum would score the inside of the tub. Very expensive repair job. Folks used to get really upset about that. Always had toploaders here though. They seem to work well.

While at home mum had a old twin tub, but when it died she saved up and bought the latest and greatest front loader, a Philco.

Always remember as she bought it from Tony Hillary's shop in Sherwood before he became a "Blinds" manufacturer.

It was expensive but lasted till just before she died in 2005, and only failed then because of a leaky pipe that was no longer available, so I bought her a new front loader from Jessops.

We've always had front loaders in our home, but in our RV we have a small top loader, wife prefers the front loaders though but size was an issue.

From an engineering point of view a top loader is preferable as the drum can be supported both sides. However the fashion is for under the counter washers here in UK so a front loader is more popular now and if well made they are reliable. We've had a Boshe for several years with no problems. My late mother had a servis twin tub new in 1963 and it was still going in 2009 when she stopped doing her own washing. She wore out before the washer. By this time it had a plywood lid on the washer tub I had made as the original had rotted away.

Interest replies, thanks. The bearing on a top loader has only end thrust, where as on a front loader it's side thrust, so in theory less wear & tear on a top loader. My Dad made the same point in his favouritism of trepanners over shearers on a coal face. (he used to work on treppaners at Bestwood workshops, he loved his treppaners) Also on top loaders there's no door seal to fail. Think I would have preferred a top loader but our kitchens not big enough, so that's bu**ered that idea. :)

Bearings,end thrusts,trepanners,side thrusts,and shearers,...........colly0410 you are def. another Ayupmeduck....lol.

• Upvote 4

What are you on about Benji ?............I always wear front loaders...........

• Upvote 3

The top loaders here have no side drum, support, the bottom gearbox supports the load, the whole load and nothing but the load.

I keep telling you - front loaders are the best, works for me..........

• Upvote 1

# 19

Benjamin, you have symmetrical even end thrust loading on the bearing on a top loader, where as on a front loader the thrust loading on the bearing is un-symmetrical. At the top of the bearing on a front loader the force pulls one way & at the bottom the other way, the bearing does not like this & has a habit of giving up the ghost. Trapanners & shearers have the same forces acting on them as Ayup will know as he worked on them a few yonks ago..

• Upvote 1