Front or top loader, which is better?

#45. I've still got my Mum's "poncher" but it doesn't have a handle. Don't use it much these days though

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funnily enough only yesterday Mrs Catfan asked me to check if the washing machine had finished doing it's thing, on checking I replied, no the machine is empty, can't be she said I've got a load of Wh

Bearings,end thrusts,trepanners,side thrusts,and shearers,...........colly0410 you are def. another Ayupmeduck....lol.

When we moved into our present home almost 2 years ago, we inherited a huge front loader washer raised up on a drawer, as well as a matching dryer. I can do a cycle in tge washer in as little as 38 mi

Iv'e got an Acme Wringer the ones with the white rollers ,had it years, I use it for wringing me leather out when I wash the car, it helps no end if you've got a touch of arthritis

• 3 weeks later...

My washing machine is thoroughly worn out, she has to go in hospital for a hysterectomy on Monday!

Seriously though, My Beko has lasted seven years and is now showing signs of bearing wear. This thread has reminded me how good modern toploaders are. I shall now be looking for a new toploader.

Blondie.....You keep telling us that front loaders are best so I think it's about time you evidenced this statement with a few pictures miduck! :)

• 2 months later...

Been reading that front loader sales have decreased to less than a third of sales from nearly half in America in the last couple of years. I think over here front loaders must make up about 99% of washer sales, I can't think of anyone who has a top loader..

If you call nearly $800 cheap Steve....LOL 26 years back they were around $400.

It's the opposite in the UK. I remember selling front-loaders in 1975 in excess of £200. You can buy them for less than that today. All electricals have plummeted. In 1979, I paid £499.99 for an Hitachi VHS VCR. Gulp!

#60 Colly0410: We've had a Beko 7kg since 2007. This weekend it went CLANG-CLANG-BANG! during the spin cycle. Main bearing has gone along with the drive belt. Machine now deceased.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Just been watching a thing on the one show about where they use little bead things mixed with the washing & it's supposed to use less than 80% of the water & soap powder of a normal washer. Hmm wonder if it's any good?

Funnily enough only yesterday Mrs Catfan asked me to check if the washing machine had finished doing it's thing, on checking I replied, no the machine is empty, can't be she said I've got a load of Whites in.

No you have'nt I said. She stormed in to the kitchen & proceeded to show me a washing machine full of...... . .erm washing.

I had been examining the Tumble Dryer, well they do look the same ! hellothere

How am I supposed to know which is which.

• Upvote 5

You will have to learn, never know when you will have to do your own washing............

• Upvote 1

Looks (and sounds) like I've got the joyful task of replacing the main bearing on our washer. Was only about 12 months ago I replaced the drum spider and bearing, so it was either a faulty seal or I did a crap job.

Nothing I like better than hours on my knees on the kitchen floor trying to knock bearings out with inadequate tools. :angry:

I would call it a day but it works fine, washes well etc., and we're doing the whole kitchen out soon so a new washer will be part of that deal.

Col

#60 Colly0410: We've had a Beko 7kg since 2007. This weekend it went CLANG-CLANG-BANG! during the spin cycle. Main bearing has gone along with the drive belt. Machine now deceased.

Probs not that difficult to change the bearing. Belts are cheap enough. If you have reasonable skill can probably rescue it for about 20 quid.

Take pics with your phone as you go along so you know where things were to start with and put them a back same.

These days many are done from the front.

Many spares places will loan you a manual on a returnable deposit.

Col