Front or top loader, which is better?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funnily enough only yesterday Mrs Catfan asked me to check if the washing machine had finished doing it's thing, on checking I replied, no the machine is empty, can't be she said I've got a load of Wh

Bearings,end thrusts,trepanners,side thrusts,and shearers,...........colly0410 you are def. another Ayupmeduck....lol.

When we moved into our present home almost 2 years ago, we inherited a huge front loader washer raised up on a drawer, as well as a matching dryer. I can do a cycle in tge washer in as little as 38 mi

DJ360: Decided on a new machine and took the old one to bits. For the life of me I couldn't get the "Spider" off the back of the drum. I had planned to use it as a support for a weather vane.

• Upvote 1

My Dad and his Dad had Rolls razors. The large handle visible inside the box was just used for pulling the blade back and forth over the very fine stone use for honing it. There was an arrangement which made it flip over as it went back and forth. Then IIRC, the other lid was put on instead, containing the 'strop' for finer preparation.

The blade was turned through 90 degrees to take it off the 'stropping handle' and it was then fitted to the smaller handle (not shown) for the actual shave.

My Dad's Dad was landlord of the Bestwood Hotel in Bestwood Colliery when I was small. The bathroom was on the first floor, at the end of a passage past bedrooms and leading to the lounge. If Grandad started 'stropping' his Rolls, the clattering noise would echo down the passage and used to scare me half to death.

Col

• Upvote 1

I think you may need a "puller" could be pressed on.

I've not seen that. Usually stainless bolts with hex heads. But these days, nothing would surprise me as they head for the disposable machine.

Col

• 7 months later...

Been thinking. With a washer with a wringer it'll squeeze the soap suds out, but how do you rinse the clothes? I presume you put the wet clothes to one side, empty the soapy water & fill with fresh then bung clothes back in & give it a whirl then wring it again.  

With Mams twin tub you'd put the soapy clothes in the spinner & spin, then fill with tap water & repeat till  the water runs clear. What a faff, no wonder they invented the automatic job...

You wring out the clothes and put them into a sink of clean water.  A quick rinse through and then back through the wringer.

# 84.   We've got one of those, and a Whirlpool tumble dryer, in France.  I certainly had my reservations when we inherited them when we bought the place but they work well.  The only problem is that they don't hold much ....... one double sheet and a couple of pillow cases is a full load which I find annoying but it only takes half an hour per wash.   

I did take a photo of the machines some time ago so I could post on this thread but have never got around to it, I struggle with Photobucket ! 

• Upvote 1

My daughter told me her front loading washer dryer is getting noisy so when I was round there last week I had a bit of a look at it.  Grinding noise when you turn the drum sounds like a duff main bearing, and a clonk on each rotation points to a probable broken spider. But it's a washer and dryer and I've never worked on one of those before.

So, I called 'Allspares' in Wigan who are very good at supplying parts and will also give free advice on repair methods, or sometimes loan out a workshop manual against a deposit.  Chap said that Hoover don't supply replacement bearings or spiders anymore.  It's the whole outer and inner drum/bearing/spider assembly or nothing.

So it's a new machine..  :(

• Upvote 1

LizzieM, Try using Flickr for your photos.  With photobucket you only get 1G storage but with Flickr it seems to be unlimited. Also in Flickr you can readily get teh url from your pictures for reposting.

• Upvote 1

Re my post #86 above.  I should say that the spares place only said that Hoover do not supply spare bits for the particular model of washer dryer I was discussing.  I assume that spares for other models are still available.

Col

I love dismantling failed machines. Rob the bolts brackets, springs, mountings etc. before taking to the scrapper. Made a nice fire pit cum bbq out of the last washing machine. Not many people have a rotating bbq that cost nowt. 

22 hours ago, katyjay said:

Compo, If Lizzie is like me, she's now going Whaaaaaat?

What I'm saying, Katyjay, is that Flickr gives you more storage space and is not difficult to use.

PP #90: I have a drum from my old washer. I wanted to use the bearing base and spider for a weather vane but alas, couldn't shift it off the drum.  It currently stands in the big shed full of potatoes.  I had thought of a fire pit but with our weather up here, there's little chance of outdoor evening parties.

1 hour ago, Compo said:

PP #90: I have a drum from my old washer. I wanted to use the bearing base and spider for a weather vane but alas, couldn't shift it off the drum.  It currently stands in the big shed full of potatoes.  I had thought of a fire pit but with our weather up here, there's little chance of outdoor evening parties.

Still a bit puzzled by that Compo.  I have had a number of drums out of machines and the spider was always fixed to the drum by stainless bolts and washers which were located at the same position as the 'paddles' inside the drum.  I can only think that maybe nowadays they are going for some sort of 'riveted'/'swaged' arrangement which is not intended to come apart for easy replacement. Any chance of a picture?

Col

DJ360: The drum is currently full of potatoes.  However, I have to empty it into a bag and will take a photo when I do that.  Possibly tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

As long as my washer doe's not cock it's toe's up and keeps going I'm happy!!!!!

• Upvote 1

freckles,It's a frame to hold the drum in the shape of a star,could have multiple arms depending on how much strength is needed,hope this helps

Rog