Front or top loader, which is better?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funnily enough only yesterday Mrs Catfan asked me to check if the washing machine had finished doing it's thing, on checking I replied, no the machine is empty, can't be she said I've got a load of Wh

Bearings,end thrusts,trepanners,side thrusts,and shearers,...........colly0410 you are def. another Ayupmeduck....lol.

When we moved into our present home almost 2 years ago, we inherited a huge front loader washer raised up on a drawer, as well as a matching dryer. I can do a cycle in tge washer in as little as 38 mi

DJ360 your wife sounds just like mine ,I am told whites on this setting etc , most programmes don't get used and with choice the final one is  it has to look "right" in the utility room. I only made the comment to highlight the fact the final decision for me on what to purchase is made by the wife on the criteria she sets.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, catfan said:

AFTER 33 MONTHS YOU FINALLY GOT TO THE PARTY MARY,

WELL DONE !

see Nov 26th 2016 mary1947

The washer in the apt we rented in America had a top loader with with short, medium or long wash's, & cold, warm or hot temp's & that was it... The Beko front loader we've got has dozens of programs & we usually use the 'mixed fabric' one as it's just over an hour'ish program time, there's a hot wash program that's 2 & 3/4 hours long, we've never used that one..

Tuesday night at Rolls-Royce Derby (was at a line dance social) I dropped pizza tomato juice down my dark navy blue new trousers (there was shouting & fuss off SWMBO) I was going to hand wash them but couldn't be bother so bunged them in the washer with other stuff. There was a tissue in a pocked somewhere & my trousers now have all white bits on them, looked online for advice & it says "wash again then put in tumble dryer." We haven't got a tumble dryer though. I'll give them a good shake outside in a bit & hope the white stuff comes off. Bit mad with myself for not checking pocked & not turning them inside out, grr grr...

• 5 months later...

They are huge compared to ours Colly, find a 'Best Buy' shop (a bit like Dixons) and peruse away...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Brew said:

find a 'Best Buy' shop (a bit like Dixons) and peruse away...

I remember there was a large "Best Buy" store at Castle Marina a few years ago. I think they had several around the country. They were never very successful and all closed down after not very long.

When we moved into our present home almost 2 years ago, we inherited a huge front loader washer raised up on a drawer, as well as a matching dryer. I can do a cycle in tge washer in as little as 38 minutes, as well as the hotter /longer cycles. The longest takes 61 minutes. Last year when we rented a cottage in Wales, I put a load of washing on, small load being the operative word, by the small drum, and set it to what I thought would be the quickest cycle. Pressed start and up came the timer. 2 hours 38 mins. Gordon Bennett. I could have found a river, and bashed 'em on a rock and been back quicker!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ha ha Brew. My m-i-l's washer was no bigger. Her's actually dried as well as washing as she lived in a flat, and that took forever.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was in America last week the hotel launderette were all front loading jobs, when I was there 30 years ago they were all top loading jobs. Talking to the hotel staff & they all had top loaders at home, talking to some Canadians & they top loaders as well. abbering to some Argentinians & they had front loaders at home. my (probably mistaken) conclusion = US & Canada are 120 volts/60 hertz countries; UK, Europe & Argentina are 230 volts/50 hertz countries. Coincidence?  

Hi colly0410    must admit i have used both, and like a top loader but have not seen one for years, first time i came across one was when my mum had a "Parnell " with an electric wringer. It was in the late 50's early  60's when i helped mum i used to always leave my hand on the wet cloths while it went though the wringer, but it was a very cleaver wringer if the cloths were to big the wringer would just snap open, when mum changed to a twin tub I had just married so ended up with her old washer.

These days domestic washing machines are essentially disposable. 

I've lost count of the times I spent hours cursing and flattening thumbs, changing the main bearing or whatever on a front loading 'automatic.'  These days, many of them are just uneconomic to repair and mostly over complicated anyway.  You can pick up a perfectly capable machine for under £200 and just bin it when it fails.  It's hardly 'eco friendly', but until the manufacturers start building machines that will last or are repairable, it's what we are stuck with.

I agree denshaw  statement about washer's but must admit the washer i have now is German and it's one of the best i have ever had, but you live to your means, (well we all  try to ) when we were young, in love. and just married we had to make due with my mum's old washer   No, No not her dolly tub and punch!  this one had to use electricity,  and it lasted at least 2 years,

On 12/18/2018 at 8:10 PM, catfan said:

Washing is woman's work, what part of that you don't understand ?

WHY OH WHY did i give this a like 

I'm sorry ladies my hand slipped i think you are living in the dark age's carfan or are you taking the PI??????

On 12/18/2018 at 11:28 PM, DJ360 said:

Nice.

DJ360 are you also taking the P????

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

DJ360 are you also taking the P????

I thought you knew me better Mary.