What was your favourite toy as a child

Tompa, I've still got my original snobs! Tried to show the grandchildren the other day how to play but I'm not quite as good at it as I used to be. I do remember that girls were always better at snobs than boys.....

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our daughter's favourite toy was Mow (Meow without the e). This was the world's greatest pacifier, guaranteed to keep her quiet. She would put it under her nose and then sniff so that the fur would ke

This is a rather chubby 2 year old me on my Mickey Rocker.

Def. not Mechano' all them nuts,screws,washers and Spanners I Could'nt be doing with em,..........no my favs were me Lead soldiers and a Golliwog which had a great 'Dicky Bow' and Waistcoat,

I bet the grandchildren were amazed about how we amused ourselves in those days. Good on ya for saving your snobs :jumping:

• Upvote 1

#61 Compo

Used to love those rocket cap bombs but as we got older we moved on to "bigger better bangs" my best was two 1/2" bolts inserted into one big 1/2" nut, end to end, but filled beforehand with cut up match heads !

You had to be very careful how tight you screwed the last bolt in, then throw up in the air so it landed on one end !

I suppose we were early creators of pipe bombs, scary though but we did it.

We did some silly things back then.

#77 our youngest grandchildren are only 4 and 5 so they are not grown up enough yet to be amazed at my childhood toys, I'm pleased to say. They love playing anything from Snakes and Ladders to looking for worms in the garden. When we find a worm we carry it to the other side of the garden and pretend it's going on its holidays! I used to do that 65 years ago. Another 5 or 6 years and I expect they'll be glued to their phones ....

• Upvote 1

The wonders of Hornby Dublo, my brother and I out in the back garden, summer 1959, the only problem was the dodgy extension cable required to connect the transformer to the main socket in the kitchen. My brother 'accidentally' forgot to disconnect the plug resulting in me getting a nice 240V shock when I unscrewed the junction box connectors.

hornby.jpg

I had a Triang Minic motorway ( still have it ), it was only compatible with Triang Trains, not Hornby Dublo, I thought it was pretty boring watching cars trying to whiz round a track before coming off at corners almost every time. I preferred shunting in the marshaling yards instead, by that time the old Dublo was considerably larger than it was in the photo.

• Upvote 2

I did that in the garden at Saxondale, but my five cats kept chasing the trains and derailing them.

Looking at the photo again it can't be 1959, by then we'd gained a Bristol Castle, D8000 and more carriages and wagons including a working TPO, in fact, by then the layout was triple track and screwed to a baseboard. I reckon the photo was taken in 1956 by my old man with his Kodak box camera. Oh, you can just about make out a line of Dinky army vehicles next to the station, probably one of my favourite toys they were quick to access and play with, living in a box under my bed, I've still got all those, in fact I bought a Dinky 1940's army trailer from a charity shop only two weeks ago, and yes, I still have all the Dublo items shown in the photo, multiplied considerably these days.

• 4 months later...

I still have my teddy bear,he has no fur,no eyes or nose,one and a half legs,and a stitched up belly cos I used to play nurses and gave him 'operations'. I keep trying to throw him in the bin but I can't do it to the poor thing.

• Upvote 4

I had more than one favorite toy, Mostly shared cos we dint ev much money.

Home made trolley

Home made stilts (Washing line wooden props with bits of wood nailed on the sides for foot rests)

Scooter

Three wheeled bike

Skipping rope ( Bit of old washing line)

Tennis balls

Celluloid doll

• Upvote 1

My Gollywog, I called him Tony Sambo - I was 5 years old when he was given to me for Christmas 1950 and I still have him today....... has red and white striped legs, white chest, complete with blue jacket with black spotted neck bow, my best friend...........

Also a brand new 2 wheeled bike, (mauve pink) which I had for Christmas when I was 8 years old........was my pride and joy until I grew out of it as we rarely got new toys back then, one of the times in my life that I can say I felt elated.........getting up on Christmas morning and seeing it was a complete tearful surprise as I never expected to get one........Cost £8.19/11 from Frank Sissons on the High Street which was a fortune back then, my mum payed 10 bob a week until it was paid for......

Then my roller skates which were ball bearings, I was disappointed when I got them as all my friends had them with rubber wheels, which I wanted until we were roller skating down the sloping Hucknall Market Square and I had sparks coming out of my wheels...............they roared and I was the champ of the day......

• Upvote 2

Our daughter's favourite toy was Mow (Meow without the e). This was the world's greatest pacifier, guaranteed to keep her quiet. She would put it under her nose and then sniff so that the fur would keep sucking up to her nostrils. She wore the first one out and we had to buy another one, which is now in the loft with all of her other toys.

5927ced1-1b49-4363-8582-92f3a44bf63b_zps

• Upvote 6

Thank you, Margie. It was taken by a Rolls-Royce Hucknall photographer, who did weddings, etc as a sideline. She was just three years old at the time.

• 1 year later...