Foundry Road (or Yard) in 1881

Hello! This is my first posting to Nottstalgia. According to the 1881 census of Nottingham, my Duffy family lived at 31 Foundry Rd. I suspect that this road's name was changed sometime in the interim. I wonder if anyone might know where this place exists now? Are there any old maps on-line that might show it? I also suspect that it fell within the district known as Narrow Marsh. Not sure about that, but on the census return, it was located in the ward of St. Mary.

Thanks for any help.

Hello gduffy & welcome to the forum

Are you sure it's Foundry Road as I've been through my directories for the late 19th century and can find no listing for Foundry Road.

But there was a Foundry Yard off Narrow Marsh/Red Lion Street(Now Cliff Road.)

NTGM014791.jpg

There was also a Foundry Street off Norton Street, Radford

And a second Foundry Yard off Brook Street/Beck street

There was also a Foundry Row off Nutall Road Cinderhill.

It has been known for the census people the get their streets/yards/roads mixed up.

I think Foundry yard was demolished when the Narrow Marsh area was redeveloped in the early 1930s to become Cliff Road.

As Bubblewrap has mentioned, there doesn't seem to be a Foundry Road, but there was a Foundry Yard off Narrow Marsh, which is shown in the previous photo.

FOUNDRY.jpg

The road along the bottom, Leen Side, is now Canal Street.

#2. Grim day, grimey buildings, wet cobblestones. Not a nice place to live but makes a great photograph.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all for your interest and excellent replies. It does indeed seem to be Foundry Yard where my grandfather lived as a boy. George Duffy had two older brothers who worked as bricklayers. They were born in Longton, Staffordshire (the Potteries) but apparently came to Nottingham (circa 1879) for steadier work. I presume that a lot of buildings were going up in Nottingham at the time. Within a few years of moving there, they emigrated to Rhode Island (circa 1885) and on to Trenton, NJ (circa 1888).

A recent search of the Nottingham Sentinel for this period (via Find My Past) turned up a few stories of the eldest brother (with his wife-to-be!!) being arrested for "obscene language" and drunkenness. I wasn't surprised to see this. John Duffy and his wife turned out to be quite respectable and good people, but growing up in such abject poverty as apparently was the case in Narrow Marsh, what else was a young couple to do but drink and curse the life they led.

Thanks all,

George Duffy

Corvallis, Oregon, USA

• Upvote 1

I want to particularly thank Annswabey for her census search for nearby streets (why didn't I think of that?).

Also thanks to Cliff Ton for that wonderful map. I would very much like to know the title of that map and its date.

That photo is fantastic! Wow! Thank you so much, Bubblewrap. I wonder, too, what year it might have been taken?

Thanks!

The map on post #5 would be dated around 1915/6 done by "Ordnance Survey"

I have a larger scale map 1/500 dated 1882

On Narrow Marsh alone there were around ten public houses at this date.

Narrow Marsh(also known as Red Lion Street) now Cliff Road only one pub remains "The Loggerheads" now closed.

Photo dated around 1919.

More pictures here

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php

By coincidence, last year saw the demolition of the last few buildings in the area which had survived since the latter part of the 19th century and which your ancestors would have known.

This is the northern end of the curving railway viaduct; the road to the right is the surviving part of Maltmill Lane. The viaduct is now gone.

marsh2_1.jpg

And this is looking up Popham Street from the point where the railway line crossed over. The buildings on both sides are now gone.

marsh1_1.jpg

Thank you, Bubblewrap, annswabey and Cliff Ton. The photo of Popham Street shows a church towering over the scene. . The before mentioned John Duffy (my grandfather's brother) and his wife, Bridget Daley, were married there in 1882. What a beautiful church!

Annswabey -- two associated families of the Duffys were the Corcorans and the Donoghues. The Corcorans mostly remained in Longton and live in that area to this day. The Donoghues (Donohues or Donahues) may have moved to Nottingham, as well. I need to do more research on them. I spent a week in Longton in 1979 and nosed around a bit. The Duffys first show up in the 1851 census. If you think we might be related, let me know. Hope so!

George

I'd looked your family up on the census in Longton the other day and sadly can't find a connection to my lot! It was only my Great Grandfather who moved to Nottingham - the rest of his family stayed in Staffs. Have managed to track quite a lot of their descendants down and many are still in Staffordshire. My main line in Longton is Hurst

• 6 years later...

I have a death certificate for a relative in 1891 lived at 23 foundry yard,leen side aged 2yrs Florence Porter,

Trying to source information on the area around that time,any comments or what relatives you may of had on that yard would be very interesting,

Thanks 

I have found a picture of a map date 1901 second edition.  it was part of Narrow Marsh and Broad Marsh there is Leenside works, sp looks like a factory of some kind. Lees Yard then Foundry Yard backing onto them then Knotted Alley there is also a church which could be St Marys as these house's are in St Mary's ward. 

The book that i found the map in is called  "Turning Back the Pages in......... Old Broad Marsh & Narrow Marsh. I went on a talk of Old Nottm at the Library on Angel Row. I also seem to think that they have record cards there about how people used to live and where. There is also the records office facing the midland station. 

Hope this help's 

but do keep looking at this site as they maybe other members who can give you more feedback.

Wecolme SammyP have just put posted above message and just read all post before take a look at them it might help.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Foundry Road (or Yard) in 1881