anyone interested in classic cars on here " have looked cannot find any forums relating to this

I have a 1976 MG Midget that I am rebuilding engine to go in soon I hope hope to MOT shortly seems a money pit at the moment

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

I've a friend here that loves MG's, he's currently restoring his 3rd MGB to "concours" standard.

He strips them down to every single nut and bolt, has every fastening cleaned and passivated then re plated, all body panels are repaired to as new or replaced, then re painted.

The finished vehicles are literally better than showroom finish, and he has won many awards at classic shows in Australia.

His property is even named after the town in the uk where they were made, Abingdon.

He has 5 acres with 3 large sheds full of parts, and donor vehicles that are past their repairing stage. I will see if I can get some of his photo's to show here.

His workshop has to be seen to be believed, it is spotless with painted floors and not a spec of dirt or debris to be seen, which in itself is amazing considering the work he does in there, welding spraying and mechanical etc.

I absolutely adore classic cars also any old form of transport. I would love to own something like a Morris Minor but funds won't allow. Beside, I already have an old banger.

• Upvote 3

so far I have spent 4 yrs on the midget ..owned it for 38 yrs now after a number of yrs I was chasing rust patches on patches ....

so decided to totally strip been sand blasted ole metal cut out new panels fitted sprayed labour of love so far .. where do you stop spending putting new door cards then the next bit looks tatty .. lol

My first car was a 1933 MG. J2 in black and red. I wish I'd kept it !!!!!!!

I bought it in 63 or 4 when I'd just passed my test. Much to my parents consternation.

I only kept it a couple of years, the boys in blue were taking an interest. Motorist persecution even prevailed in those days. LOL

My banger is a 51 plate Ford Focus 1800 Ghia. It was owned by a garage business before I had it. With heated windscreen etc it must have been top of the range in its day. I only paid 450 quid for it but I need to spend some serious money on it. Saying that it cruises at a steady 70 up the motorway with no problem.

Well we've never owned a classic car but we used to have a 1945 Massey Ferguson tractor and a 1922 Steam Roller. My husband and sons did them both up to working order but he sold them when we moved to Nottingham 11 years ago as we had nowhere to garage them in the middle of town!

many many people collect tractors good to keep the old stuff running steam roller .. you would turn heads if you went to the local Tesco's to do your weekly shop in one of them................................

• Upvote 1

A lot of the old Ford N9 tractors still running over here, seems parts are still easy to come by, the N9's date back to the late 40's.

See these tractors? I spent months as a teenager whacking old ones like these with a sledgehammer, the boss got em, broke em and sold the cast parts into Gloworm Boilers because it was such pure iron. He had a Field Marshal I nearly bought but he sold a wheel for spares so it meant probs sorting it, I lost interest then, if I had it now I would drive it to yes TESCO

Here in oz there are lots of old tractors still around, and many collectors groups.

One group do a long trip each year, sometimes all around Australia ! they tow caravans too for their accommodation on the journey.

Must be a boring journey at 40 klm/hour.

40Kmh??? I'd be lucky to get 10Kmh out of mine in high range top gear...Nahh she'll do 10Mph, I race turtles with it...LOL

Mind, 10 Mph is bloody murder on the back working in the fields, tractors have no suspension, knocks the kidneys around a bit!

Thanks Robbie, the chimney had to be removed to get it into its garage. Once it was all tarted up we sent it to some place in Hampshire on a low-loader to be steam-tested. It never did go out on the road or to a rally.

My cousin, Bruce Ragsdale, from Retford had a couple of steam engines - my husband tells me one was a Fowler? Anyone come across him or one of his sons?

Re #29. Dad had a black Triumph Renown in the late 50's. Beautiful and so comfy. Everyone on the street thought it was a Rolls Royce.LOL

Talking to a mate of mine in Bulwell & he still has one of the very early MK2 Cortinas. It is a "D" registered one from abour 1966, he has owned it for nearly 40 years I know.

Nowadays it is parked in his garage slowly rotting away. thumbsdown