I'll find the before and after pictures of the Lister LD1 I did a few years ago

lister%201_zps4wk1ercs.jpg

lister%20restored%201_zpsq5hmu5fd.jpg

lister%20restored%203_zps84n7ujlv.jpg

The first picture is when |I first got it,then after a few months of completely stripping it,cleaning it and generally worshipping it I ended up with the second and third picture results,the trolley I made myself out of 4 inch channel,the wheels I manage to buy from a vintage tractor and engine show for £40,well pleasede with the result,a couple of years after finishing it someone offered me a good price for it so I let it go,it is now earning it's keep as a log splitter

Rog

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

Got the Lister/Petter running today,changed the oil in the pressure washer pump and connected the washer lance to it,just to try it I connected the inlet pipe to my water butt,it worked so I pressure washed the engine and some of the trolley,might still take it off that trolley and get it to fit on my old home made engine trolley,but so far it's looking good,

P1050508_zpseusnxc1p.jpg

P1050509_zpsfm2rsgrh.jpg

Rog

Would you recommend Brunswick green on the crankcase as well as the air cooling covers or best to leave it bare aluminium?

I saw one of these on an interent auction site the other day for £550,seems a tad much to me but you never know

Rog

I presume from new it would have been painted overall in green. It depends how much of a purist you are! The restored ones I've seen have been all-over green and leaving the aluminium bare would let it oxidise and not keep its shine. You will presumably be aware of the need for a special primer for the aluminium prior to painting. Are you going to exhibit it? I always enjoy the stationary engine stands at the agricultural shows.

Phil

Not too bothered about showing it to be honest,just nice to get it looking good and running it,I have plenty of pictures of stationary engines I've took in the past from some of the shows I have been to and like you I make a beeline for them every time,as for primer paint,yes I have some in one of the sheds so it looks like an all over paint job,there is also a company that do the correct type of transfers for all old engines so I will try and track some of them down,enjoying the project though,thanks for the replies and suggestions Phil,much appreciated

Rog

I am hoping to aquire a stationary engine to drive a cider apple scratter. Brought a cider press home from France a month ago and the scratter will be brought over  when I've refurbished it. The plan is to form a cider making club but I have not been able to find premises yet. Plan B is to assemble the press outdoors when needed. I could fit an electric motor to the scratter but a donkey engine and belt would be much more satisfying.

Tasted last seasons cidre last week - a bit cloudy but drinks well. 4 ex whisky barrels full.

4 years ago I had planned to use my Toyota Hilux Mk3 to drive the big French scratter, but it was nicked just before the season.

Seen them used to drive circular saws. Just jack up the back axle and use the manual throttle to regulate speed.

Like you say PP theres something more satisfying using an engine,especially one you have to manually start (swinging a handle) and even more so if it's one you have renovated and given a new lease of life to

Rog

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

I am hoping to aquire a stationary engine to drive a cider apple scratter. Brought a cider press home from France a month ago and the scratter will be brought over  when I've refurbished it. The plan is to form a cider making club but I have not been able to find premises yet. Plan B is to assemble the press outdoors when needed. I could fit an electric motor to the scratter but a donkey engine and belt would be much more satisfying.

Tasted last seasons cidre last week - a bit cloudy but drinks well. 4 ex whisky barrels full.

4 years ago I had planned to use my Toyota Hilux Mk3 to drive the big French scratter, but it was nicked just before the season.

Seen them used to drive circular saws. Just jack up the back axle and use the manual throttle to regulate speed.

You're a very ambitious cider maker! l've got a hand turned scratter and a hand operated press. The last time I made cider it wa quite disgusting - just like the proverbial cat pee. Your enthusiasm has rekindled the idea of me having another go this autumn. Watch this space!

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Got the old engine trolley out from behind the lilac bush today and decided to smarten it up a bit ready for the Lister/Petter engine,so after a fair bit of wire brushing,scraping of old paint and a good wipe down I put some black paint on it including the wheels,I didn't want to paint it Brunswick green because thats going to be the colour of the engine so I thought black would make a good contrast,the question I ask myself now is,do I line paint the wheel edges and spoke centers or leave them black? at the moment I thinking of line painting

P1050606_zpswqfaepln.jpg

after a good scrub

P1050607_zpsnqthrzhs.jpg

after a lick of paint,

Am also thinking of making a wooden tool box to go on the front of the trolley just to fill in a bit of space

Rog

• Upvote 2

At least it keeps you out of trouble Rog !

• Upvote 1

Looks great and needs your unconditional attention to get the lines right. I am a great fan of tool boxes get  one built!

Look forward to seeing it at the next show.

Nottm Autokarna is on Sunday 4th at Woolaton Park always some good bits of metal there.

• Upvote 1

I think a nice wooden box,brass fittings and a rub over with some antique wax

Rog

Fly,keep me out of trouble,got black paint on me trousers,and on the soles of my slippers then went through the kitchen with them on,so foot prints on the kitchen floor,cut my hand with the scraper,(sore as hell) and somehow managed to get a good dollop of paint on the grass,wait til Mrs P gets home !!!!!!

Rog

Oh dear, sounds like you may be in for a rough evening. A bit of humble pie, and a good dollop of creeping might be the order of the day. 

• Upvote 1

Plantfit  just stand up straight and say 'look woman, I'm a man and it's what men do ok?'

Just make sure you don't reverse the charges when you make the call.    thumbsup

• Upvote 1

Yes Brew I did consider saying something similar,but I didn't consider it for too long,I suppose I could blame the footprints on the kitchen floor on next doors dog but I don't think that will work either,his feet aren't as big as mine

Rog

Yer in fer a treat ! Loads to see, keep you occupied all day. Mrs C & me were there last Christmas.

Enjoy yersen.

P1030839_zpscnwjhhgc.jpg

P1030826_zpsdo8tiojo.jpg

P1030825_zps7y0cx4ve.jpg

P1030803_zpsoib4ven0.jpg

P1030813_zpsru5ofaqj.jpg

Don't forget to have a wander around his lordship's "Gaff" !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • 3 months later...

Old Petter engine coming along fine

P1050505.jpg

P1050978.jpg

good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as was the engine oil,clean fuel put in the tank,decided to use the old engine trolley so gave it a lick of gloss black enamel

P1050979.jpg

Mid Brunswick green paint applied,new transfers applied,just waiting for the gold coloured direction arrow transfer to arrive now to go on the end of the engine, still thinking about using my old engine trolley but it will need some alterations so that this engine will fit as the footprint of the Petter is a bit longer than the Lister LD1 was

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2