• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

you can't beat shallow hemispherical nuts

Until someone decides to undo them with a chisel.

Rog

WW, Great post, love the ash receptacles, you don't get those on modern cars or even a cigarette lighter and a foot operated headlight dimmer switch, I'd forgotten about those.

Made me think of the "Tool kit" in our recently new car. A wheel nut spanner/wrench (not much use if the wheel nuts have been done up with an air wrench) and a Jack, that's it. Still they don't break down very often these days and there is not much you can fix at the side of the road.

Oztalgian. Remember these cars had illuminated semaphore turn indicators in the centre pillar.

I know what you're saying about the wheelbrace. I bought one about 15 inches long with a telescopic handle which extends to about 2foot for my last car but my latest car has no spare wheel no wheelbrace  and no jack, just an electric pump and a container of goo which is put in a tyre when it's punctured. 

Cheers.

Remember those trafficators quite well, WW.  My Ford Pop had 'em.  It complicated turns a bit, because as well as flipping the indicator switch you had to thump the door pillar as well to get 'em to pop up.  :rolleyes:

We used to chuck them in the paraffin bin that sorted them for a bit  the electric petrol pumps were notorious  I went out to many a55 bmc motors always took the apprentice bunged him in the boot to keep banging the pump so we could drive it back never got stopped once by police even with legs sticking out the boot

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

ayup commo ,e93a morgan three wheelers whizz along nicely, my mate george owns one that he raced for years, he didn,t need good lights as the white frightened face of his passenger lit the road up for a hundred yards round it,it used to be owned by Dennis Rogers from Lowater St!

On 02/12/2017 at 7:19 PM, plantfit said:

Ah the 100E, side valve,thermo-syphon cooling system and vacuum operated wipers,the slower you went the slower the wipers operated, remember altering the voltage regulator for winter/dark nights running?

Rog

As I remember, the wipers worked the other way round, ie  the faster you went, the slower the wipers.

10 hours ago, swe62 said:

ayup commo ,e93a morgan three wheelers whizz along nicely, my mate george owns one that he raced for years, he didn,t need good lights as the white frightened face of his passenger lit the road up for a hundred yards round it,it used to be owned by Dennis Rogers from Lowater St!

That would be the wandering blob I recall. I used to go to lowater street often to get bits for my Norton es2.  I bought a Featherbed rolling chassis from him when my Norton frame broke and rebuilt the ES2 in the featherbed. 

7 hours ago, Waddo said:

As I remember, the wipers worked the other way round, ie  the faster you went, the slower the wipers.

Not so much the faster you went. The more you put your foot down the slower the wipers went - mainly to get it uphill. My old 1959 100E Anglia below:

bdp07k.jpg

I’m very much in to Morgans, hence my avatar, and I’ve seen and spoken to the owner of the Wandering Blob on a few occasions. It was back in the eighties however and I can’t remember where or when. I trust, like most Morgans it’s still in existence. My ‘87 Plus Eight lives in Cheshire with only 30,000 miles and my ‘85 4/4 was shipped out to Australia. I’m thinking about another one this year and sat in one on Sunday just to see if I could still get in! :(

Back in 72 I bought a Norton dominator 600 from a friend of a friend for £40.00. It was a 61model in a slimline frame, it had been turned into a café racer, fiberglass tank and seat, alloy wheels ( very furred up) dunstall megas twin leading shoe front brakes but had been stood for a considerable time due to the owner having a bad knee so couldn't ride anymore. Anyway I got it home, after much kicking, removing plug's and draining carbs, then proceeded over the next fortnight, to clean, polish and lube everything. It looked absolutely lovely, and on the big day called my mate's to see if they wanted to go for a ride. Off we set to show the bike to my friend in toton, gets to bramcote bath's and told the lads to go ahead I will catch them up. Off they went down the A52 towards Gregory Rose's followed shortly by me, giving it full stick. I passed them doing over a ton, but had to brake hard for the island. It was at this point that the front brake cable decided to part with the nipple, which I discovered later was of the solder less type! Up and over the island we went discarding the bike halfway through the acrobatics. Said bike, a right off, said rider badly winded, ego shot and plans on having children terminated. Took the wreck, by towing it behind one off the bikes,, me sort of jogging along side, to friend in toton parked it up and went home feeling sorry for myself. A couple of day's later my friend rang to say someone wants to buy it, I said get what you can, he sold it for £70.00. I thought how lucky is that!!. Wish I still had it, be worth more than £70.00 I bet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Not so much the faster you went. The more you put your foot down the slower the wipers went - mainly to get it uphill.

The reason I remember was, I had my father's 1959 mk2 zodiac (reg=VVO 767) and he had put a conversion on it to transform it to a conventional system. He should have done something with the column change, because every so often you had to get under the car and knock the linkage to get it in gear. It also had a manual overdrive. Wish I still had that as well !!

4 hours ago, Waddo said:

The reason I remember was, I had my father's 1959 mk2 zodiac (reg=VVO 767) and he had put a conversion on it to transform it to a conventional system. He should have done something with the column change, because every so often you had to get under the car and knock the linkage to get it in gear. It also had a manual overdrive. Wish I still had that as well !!

Early Mk2's must have just had a vacuum tank same as the 100E at that. My father had a Mk 2 Zephyr which was a 1961, 965 KTV. that did have a vacuum pump on it so the wipers didn't slow down. I learnt to drive in that car - never a problem with the column change tho'. No overdrive on a Zephyr though, but having learnt to drive with a big soft 6 cylinder engine has meant that I really never wanted anything less. Probably has something to do with my interest in old Rovers now. Still a big daft 6 cylinder engine!

• Like 1

Ive nearly finished my P4 that I bought on a whim in a million bits ,I never liked the P4 much and wanted a P5  3 litre but as I have got on with this project I have realised what a fantastic quality car the P4 is ,how the hell did the British motor industry lose its way so badly in the 70s?

philmayfield if I remember right the wandering blob was the one Dennis used for trials Georges is the red 1947 one with the steel framed body that the racing lot wont allow ,although its about the only one left with the original rivetted up chassis, what an experience to drive these 3 wheeler they are epic