Talk of Dennis Rogers reminds me that I haven't seen his son, Paul, for a while. Used to take our cars for MOT to his garage, and every time he was on about giving up bike racing. 

As as for wipers on old cars, my 105E had a proper wiper motor. Unfortunately, it packed up when I was on holiday in the Western Highlands of Scotland. Finding a new motor on a Sunday in the middle of effin nowhere was impossible, so I drove the 400 miles back home in the rain, with the window down and operating the wipers manually.

To make matters worse, when I finally sourced a wiper motor, it was the wrong polarity (the Anglia was positive earth) and I burnt the wiring out the moment I turned the wipers on!

Happy days?

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

If you had those over here you would need to sell a kidney to pay the road tax, unless it was a classic (and I don't mean the consul classic). I don't quite understand the tax system that we have now !.

For anyone interested in cars of the 40's and 50's, and gentle tv viewing, may I recommend the Father Brown detective series currently being shown on BBC 1 at 2.15 each weekday, and also on Freeview Drama or Yesterday channels. Good clean fun, and lovely old Wolsleys, Riley's and Sunbeams etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting Rog. I remember the A1 when locally it passed through the centres of Bawtry, Retford, Tuxford, Newark, Grantham and Stamford. There was far less traffic then of course but you could see the holdups gradually getting worse. At Newark the traffic sometimes stretched back as far as Kelham Bridge on a bank holiday. Things have now gone full circle and the A617 is once again experiencing long tailbacks. Traffic in Newark this afternoon was horrendous. From Monday a temporary one way system is in force on Castlegate until June for sewer works. The holdups are going to be mega, even by Newark standards. Avoid it if you can!

• Upvote 1

Excellent window on the A1 and vehicles of the period. I wish it were as quiet these days.

I guess its about progress you needed some brass to be running a car in 1939.

The Great North Road video is great. 

I noticed especially in the early part, there were sections of the road which were 3-lane. One up, one down, and the centre lane for suicide overtaking…in either direction.  Some of those were still around at least into the early 60s.

And on a sombre note, with the film being made in August 1939, I wonder how many of the people in it didn’t survive beyond the next few years.

^^^^^^They were already flying barrage balloons, however the roads signs were still in place.

At the start of the film I immediately thought of the 'man with the bike' who took all those photographs of Nottingham, this guy was posher he had a cine camera and got his car in shot.;)

Lovely Rog thanks.

Great video, Rog.

And as for the "suicide" middle lanes, when I used to commute down the A614 in the 1980s, it had a middle lane between Longdale Lane and Burntstump, on the stretch past the Jet station.

There were plenty of times I saw the aftermath of drivers either playing chicken with overtakers coming the other way, or maybe just blinded to getting past slower cars, without realising the consequences.

No wonder that the Highways Agency changed the road format. Or that speed cameras were finally put there.

The only problem with the suicide lanes was the lack of double, solid white lines to restrict traffic from overtaking. And then changing it over to accommodate traffic on the other side. It works in other places.

9 hours ago, Rob.L said:

And as for the "suicide" middle lanes, when I used to commute down the A614 in the 1980s, it had a middle lane between Longdale Lane and Burntstump, on the stretch past the Jet station.

In the 60's and early 70's there were "suicide" lanes intermittently along the A614 from the Red Hill roundabout on past The White Post, The Limes Café up to the Ollerton roundabout and well beyond, there were many serious accidents and even deaths where the roads from the villages met the A614, often at the bottom of dips in the road.

Just over 9 years ago 6 people were killed in a horrific head on crash between the Bilsthorpe and Eakring turnoffs in which the coroner concluded that the crash was due to inappropriate overtaking.

• 1 month later...

Great workshop Ian. Something I will miss when leaving France are the barns and a three bay hanger. Only have a double garage at home so on the look out for a barn to rent.

Re the Light 15. A mate had one and it must have been the most comfortable car on the road in the 40/50's. The mini was hailed as revolutionary being front wheel drive and wheels at each corner but the Light 15 had already done that.

And the DS was a dream. My close friend's widow had a black one for sale 5 years ago which I could have had for £3500. I had known the car for 20 years and it was kept in excellent condition. Mrs PP would not let me have it........ Would have been wonderful to keep here in France where they are revered. 

• Like 2

Nice workshop Ian, although I think it's too late for me for bending and laying on the floor I have enough trouble driving my 3 cars never mind maintaining them.

I went to the Restoration Show at the NEC on Saturday which was very good.

• Like 1

you cant beat old citroens with the hydro pnuematic suspension ,super comfort and good roadholding,xantias were about the last good ones the C5s etc are electronic junk, love the 2 CVs and derivatives too ,easy to mend when you get the hang of them as well,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My ID19 was a magical car, but would have loved a Safari Estate, or even an SM. 

wouldnt mind a nice air cooled gs pallas ,I ve not seen one for ages ,the engines were bullet proof my mate drag raced one and revved it to 9500 rpm without a problem ,apart from valve bounce.

It is AX 201, the one and only Silver Ghost. The rest that are referred to as Silver Ghosts are actually 40/50's. That one was owned by Rolls Royce. I don't know whether or not one of the German tribe own it now.

• Like 3