when  and where is the Rover do Ian ,I should have my P4 done if we are in Notts.

• Like 1
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

Is that a Sainsburys on the corner of Cheapside and High St under the Commercial Union offices? I can only remember it as a Pork Farms shop. If it was they must have had some competition from Burton's !

• Like 1

I1950_RAC-_Benn.jpgJust found this...wondering if it was the pre-curser to Moons.."Runways to four floors"..Traffic Division( mercury.)

Telegram address is cool"Autocar".

Settles the issue about Trumans-

Cliff pointed out "Trumbet"..was a combination of Trumans/ Bluecoat St..

A bit like # Trumans in 2018.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Outside the NewsHouse..a prince henry?64894.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg

Bullnose Morris

Prince Henry has a more pointed rad and the fluted bonnet

• Like 2

I remember going into that Sainsbury's with my granny. It was all mahogany and marble with men wearing straw boaters serving behind the counter. The smell in there was exquisite - similar (many years later) to E Love (Provisions) on Mansfield Road.

For some reason, many people preferred Sainsbury's to Burtons even though they were almost next door to each other.

We used to buy Sainsbury's Breakfast Sausage which was sliced while-you-wait - I was really cheeky once and asked for it in a single piece which earned me a clip behind the ear. Really excellent stuff and I think it's still available.

• Like 2

I was at that Forest Blackpool match, at the time used to stand just behind the kid`s enclosure. I felt so privileged to have seen The Wizard of the Dribble in action, even though by then he was, not unsurprisingly, past his best.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, IAN123. said:

A bunch of Beauties on Barker.Nottingham-_Lace-_Market-_Barker-_Gate-11966..like the Standard station wagon.

Uncle of mine who lived in Bakersfield had a Standard Vanguard the one with the round back. If I remember correctly it was a 3 sp shift on the steering column. We would go to Skeggy in it and have to stop in Newark, where he was originally from, to let it cool down and fill hop with water.

• Like 1

Looking at the forest football prog' there are from memory 4 Blackpool players from the 1953 'Mathews final' George Farm,,the keeper,, and 3 of the forwards ,Mathews obviously, Jack Mudie, and Bill Perry.

The 53' final sticks in my memory as it was the first final i saw,,on the Telly at my Aunts on Leybourne drive,Bestwood estate,,.......the Forest team had 7 of the 59' cup winners..Charlie Thompson,,Bill Whare,,Bob Mckinlay,,Jack Burkitt,,Tommy Wilson,,Stewart Imlach,,and i think Billy Gray,,who i had the pleasure of speaking to in the 'Strelley' Coop in the 90s............

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

65274.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgmight need Siddah for this motor.

Bennetts again up on Talbot St.

Any ideas?

Well funny that it is on Talbot Street ………...the flairing where the radiator sits on the chassis rails is reminiscent of Talbots …………….. I am doing more research.

• Like 2

Sorry to corrupt a valid thread ...with this 'Regal'?Reliant_Regal_ad_1960.jpgMy mates only had these because we all had bike licences.Note the Plastic Pig fan club boss lived in Aspley...figures...lucky to have any wheels up there ..never mind 3 !

Nought to Sixty...was measured by a calendar.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, siddha said:

Well funny that it is on Talbot Street ………...the flairing where the radiator sits on the chassis rails is reminiscent of Talbots …………….. I am doing more research.

No not a Talbot checked that with those that know...……………….. Swift ? Argyll? there were so many small manufacturers then. Charles Rolls made 3 small cars like this before he got together with Royce. I will keep looking...………..

• Like 1
22 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Football really was great then..City ground one week and Meadow Lane the other...a star in and stars both teams.

And you didn’t have to worry about being killed or take a mortgage out to get a ticket

A Reliant Robin Tale.

Back in the late 60s went for a caving weekend in South Wales a variety of vehicles were there from Land Rover to Austin Champs amongst them a Robin, I had hired a new Cortina as I had the wife to be with me, we were camped down in a steep sided valley with only a muddy track for access.

Returning from the pub on Saturday night, we had a bonfire party and went to bed. During the night it threw it down, that bad the lady and I retired to the front seats of the Cortina. Sunday morning it was still siling it down and as the cave could be affected by water a decision was made to abandon the cave and get the motors out of the valley.

Several of us with non 4 wheel drive were struggling, I even had two mates bouncing up and down in the boot to maintain traction and was still having real problems. I called the Austin Champ for a tow and ignominy of ignominies as I fasten the rope to the front of the Cortina up came the Robin drove straight round us and of he went up the track, never even skidded all the way to the top.

To make matters worse it took me two hours to clean the hire car before I dare take it back.....

• Like 3
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, siddha said:

Possibly an Argyll or less certainly a Swift??

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I had a B GT in that colour, Blaze, back in the 70’s. DVO 200J. Sadly not the V8 but the dealership did loan me one for a day. Not very quick by today’s standards though. I’ve just checked and it’s still in existence but not taxed. I wonder where it’s living?

Our first Mini had the number 71 STO. I wish I’d kept that but private plates were not particularly fashionable back in the 60’s. There’s no trace of that registration now. FBT 20, which I had on a 1947 MG TC is still around but on a modern car.