This is the old Petter A1 petrol engine I am working on for someone in the village, it's not run for many years and as you can see it's in a bit of a state, there was no compression in the engine and no spark from the magneto, I removed the spark plug and poured some petrol and oil mixture down the spark plug hole,turned the engine over a few times using the starting handle to get the mixture around the piston rings and valves, next I put a scratch mark on the magneto body where it joins the engine and a scratch mark on the engine case to line up with the magneto so when I come to put the magneto back on the engine it will go in the same place as it was removed, the points in the magneto were corroded together and needed prising apart, I did this and cleaned them up using fine  wet and dry abrasive paper, next was to remove the cover on the top of the magneto revealing the copper windings,these were covered in oil and dust so needed a good clean  and wipe down using WD 40 after wiping them dry with a clean cloth I replace the whole lot back on the engine making sure to line up the two scratch lines, turned the engine over using the starting handle and there was a good spark from the HT lead. The owner of the engine wasn't avialable the following week as he was on holiday so that gave time for the petrol/oil mixture in the cyclinder and valves to work it's way in and hopefully free off the piston rings and stuck valves,

Petter_A1_(1).jpg

on my next visit I will see if things have freed off ready for the next stage of restoration

Rog

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

http://www.monza.org.nz/cars/8monza8/8images/214_1222_06b.JPG

But under the bonnet, a Rover V8, disc brakes etc, etc.

Can't for the life of me get the photo to show up here!  I have managed it in the past, but the brain seems to have frozen.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Socram said:

Can't for the life of me get the photo to show up here!  

Clicking on the link takes me to the photo ok.  It's a link to a New Zealand-based motorsport site, which obviously makes sense, seeing where you are.

• 3 months later...

How did you design a car in the sixties?

1 Start with an oil leak and go from there.

2 Start with a water leak and go from there.

I cannot remember one car that I had in the sixties and early seventies that despite regular servicing didn't develop an oil leak from either the rear main bearing seal, the timing cover or the rocker gasket or water leaks from the front and rear windows or the boot.

42 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I remember some car showrooms had trays under some cars to collect the oil from dripping on the floor.

And the odd nut and bolt, that would fall off whilst it was standing there!!

Our fire engines always had large drip trays underneath, some 6ft by 3ft. Engines and gearboxes all leaked. Rolls Royce B60 and B80 engines ! Even when we got the new AEC diesels in 1971, they dripped a good bit. Par for the course in those days and a certain amount of leakage was accepted from HGV's at their annual test. How things change !

They're calor gas powered now in Mumbai (Bombay) and also electric start, not be long before they get ecus and turbos !!!

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, plantfit said:

Tuk Tuk

Plantfit, was that one in South Africa?

In India they are called Auto Rickshaws made by Bajaj Autos who have a large plant in Pune in the hill country above Mumbai.

They have formed an alliance with Triumph Motorcycles to build mid sized motor bikes.

I have hazy memories of driving one of these.

Tuk-Tuk is the name most often used in Thailand and in Sri Lanka, they have many other local names around the world. 

It belongs to the Maazi Indian restaurant in Matlock Town, the owners sponsored the Penny Farthing race there in 2011.

Interesting about Triumph Motorcycles though,any more info?

Rog

• Like 1

Went out for a meal in Chaing Mai once and hired a couple of tuk tuks to get back to the hotel - me and the missus in one, daughter and fiancee in the other. The drivers looked at each other, then at us (think they were checking to see if we were up for it) and then we were off! Raced each other all the way back to the hotel. Probably the most exhilarating and dangerous thing I’ve done!!

9 hours ago, plantfit said:

Interesting about Triumph Motorcycles though,any more info?

Plantfit

If you type "Bajaj and Triumph" into your web browser you will find a lot of news about this project, apparently the first bike produced will be a 650cc unit.

Whilst working in India I was at the company that made the Enfield Bullet and I saw a diesel engined version. I can imagine some poor Indian rider being launched into orbit if it kicked back.

• Like 2

The foreman and I went in a bubble car he came whistling in to the garage and up to the work bench only to find there was no reverse gear couldnt open the door to get out I had to climb out the roof and shove it backwards  we also got a bond mini car going it would spin round and round in its own length blanked all the garage out with smoke  meeowed

• Like 2

It was like the red one on Catfan's photo on Tuesday (but pale Blue!). When it wouldn't start one day, I pushed it down a slope and Paul had to run round to the front to open the door and get in!  Good job he didn't trip up...

• Like 1