• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

I looked up the reg no., on mr. Google and said Sunbeam, black, 1951. Unless I read it wrong.

There are no laws forbidding ANYONE to take a photo and reposting it anywhere, including HSR, if he's on the streets walking around minding his own business

If there were, there would be no photos of anything around.

That one seems to live where it is photographed. I have seen it on many occasions over a long period of time. I haven't had the chance to photograph it otherwise I would have done. People have taken pictures of my cars in various places. How can I object?

Not really bothered Phil. Matters not to me whether it's  a Rover or a Ford Popular. Who makes/made Sunbeam, I  wouldn't  know. Last thing I want is to get into a disagreement over a car. Just passing on what I'd  read. Cheers Phil.

Edit...Just had another look and your right= " Unknown Rover, black, 1947." Maybe I could have a wrong digit in by mistake. My sincere apologies to you sir.

:laughing:I suppose it depends on the size of the horse Dave, is a little horse a fractional horsepower horse..?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Deflation!  :biggrin:   Surely the math that determines hp   foot pounds and all that should remain the same no matter the date? 

The maths is the same but in 1947 a 5hp lawnmower would probably have been a ride on mower pulling several gangs of blades and used on country estates.

Talking of horse power, I used to have a little Seagull 4hp outboard engine for my day boat. It were donkeys years old.

56 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

I think back in those days HP was rated for tax purposes not BHP.

That may be the answer to the question, Ian.

When we think of the old stagecoaches it seems like they might have four or six horses.  My first car was a 1957 Ford pop rated 10 hp. Slow by todays standards but seemed to have plenty of pulling power.

5 hours ago, Rob.L said:

unless it is parked on private property.

I dislike the assumption that everybody is internet savvy, at least go to the trouble of blurring plates, door numbers etc before posting on a OPEN forum.

I would never take a picture without permission in this scenario, it's selfish and a damn cheek!

Lizzie, the fact that you would never apologise...I wasn't looking for one..

hint's that you might think twice in future.

Not getting on my high horse or looking for a moan..just what I consider to be a sensible observation.

• Like 1

I had a Ford pop., LL., A 1954  EEB 512. I always thought it were 8hp, if going up Ilkeston road when raining, the wipers used come to a stop.

Don't know what that equates to in cc.

I think it was about a 1000 cc sidevalve BK.  3 speed gearbox.  Topspeed probably around 50 except downhill.  Much over fifty dangerously unstable.  Nice little first car though.

Edited to add... Yes, the wipers were very iffy if you had to push the gas pedal hard.  Part of it's eccentric charm.

54 minutes ago, HSR said:

Thanks for the info Phil, work party deployed, are glass fragments set in concrete still legal?  ;)

Go the whole hog mate and install a watchtower with a Gatling gun emplacement. :rolleyes: