Ford sidevalve engine was 933 cc later and finally was 1172cc. The early engine was thermo syphon cooling  no water pump the later engines had a water pump but those engines made more than eight horsepower probably around twenty two BHP.

• Like 1
  • Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

That rings me bell it was 1172 cc.  Mine must have been an early one because it had the thermo siphon thingy, no water pump.  Six volt electrical system.  Sounds so primitive now.  I suppose it was.  Had a nice handle so you could wind it up when it got persnickety.  Pretty reliable though, all things considered

9 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

That one seems to live where it is photographed. I have seen it on many occasions over a long period of time. I haven't had the chance to photograph it otherwise I would have done. People have taken pictures of my cars in various places. How can I object?

Seen many times and haven't had the opportunity to photo?

Would these 'Various Places' include your house and driveway,..

I look forward to your pic's on this forum....

Re horse powers of ic engines. In 1910 the government asked the  RAC to calculate the hp of vehicle engines and they came up with a formula which included cylinder bore and number of cylinders. Each vehicle model was taxed on that formula. As engines developed in power the vehicles were classed having 2 different hp ratings, for example 15/40, the smaller  being the RAC notional hp and the larger being actual hp. This system lasted until  1947 in the UK. 

A Prony brake was used on sample engines to get an actual figure. 

From my People's College mech eng course days, 1hp is 33,000 ft lbs of work per minute.

• Like 2

Here is a photo of my MGB, it was my pride and joy, until I had to accept that i could no longer get in and out of it. The last time I drove it to get out of it I had to open the door and roll out onto the ground , then wait for someone to help me up. the last time the wife left me on the ground and went into the pub for a drink. So it was sold and the wife had the money.

IMG-1510.jpg

• Like 6

As well as my Citroen DS, ( low to get in, higher when getting out )  I have an Austin Gipsy, it's my mobile Shackleton high seat chair   !

Morning Pianoman, nice motor, but I'd a thought you would have cleared the weeds and grass out of the cracks before photographing your pride and joy.  :rolleyes:(tongue in cheek).

I liked the look of Trogg's MGB. I had a BGT from new in blaze (orange) DVO 200J. I had qualified by then so the bank were perfectly happy to lend me the money to buy it. I'm quite tempted to buy one, a convertible, but I see the prices are shooting up now for decent ones. Perhaps another Morgan would be a more suitable car for my age!

Phil go for the classic plus 8 or the new plus 6, then you can be a boy racer again, the joys of rear wheel drive. 

PS if you do have one again let me have it for a day, you will have to lift me in and out again.

I’ve had a Plus 8 but I was in my 40’s then. It’s my avatar picture. It’s one of the cars I wish I’d never sold but I got rid of it to buy a self build Caterham 7 kit. Another car I wish I’d never sold. The new Plus 6 is a complete revolution with its break away from the traditional steel frame chassis but new Morgans are starting to be ‘silly money’ now. I sometimes go up to Ledgerwoods in North Lincs to view his Morgan stock and also down to Allon Whites at Cranfield. The last interesting car I had was an F Type but that had so many problems during the three years I had it that I got rid when the warranty expired. To have an ‘interesting’ car would be pure indulgence. I can usually get my ‘fix’ by visiting Sherwood Restorations in nearby Southwell to do a bit of tyre kicking. I think my days of fun have come to an end! My last mechanical purchases were a walk behind petrol strimmer and a cordless chain saw for my wife!

• Like 2

Sherwood Restorations is where I brought the B from, I would love to go and look around there again , but I couldnt trust myself not to buy a classic car again, no self control.

Hi Willow i remember doing those formulas at PCFE many years ago.I had a Rover 3 litre it was a nice riding car but engine and electrical were terrible the rear main seal leaked like a sieve about150 miles on a pint of oil i kept lots of oil in the boot, the dynamo overcharged and burnt the AVC,battery and itself out and after that the clutch started slipping and one day while driving to Coventry came off the motorway and the engine was misfiring,guess what a burnt exhaust valve it was the Rover intake over exhaust engine,what ever next i dont want to know

We had a Woslely 40/40 not sure of number it was the type used at the time by the police  Leather seats, Walnut dash board, indicators that came out from the side door, not forgetting column change gears.  It cost us £10 00  and it took us all the way to Surrey before it passed away.

When I worked at a salon in Nottingham, Alan the boss came to check up on us, he had a Ford Zephyr, which he fit into fine. When he came in his wife's car, it was quite funny as her car was a Mini and Alan was over 6 foot. Alan looked far to big for the mini.

Hi Willow i remember doing those formulas at PCFE many years ago.I had a Rover 3 litre it was a nice riding car but engine and electrical were terrible the rear main seal leaked like a sieve about150 miles on a pint of oil i kept lots of oil in the boot, the dynamo overcharged and burnt the AVC,battery and itself out and after that the clutch started slipping and one day while driving to Coventry came off the motorway and the engine was misfiring,guess what a burnt exhaust valve it was the Rover intake over exhaust engine,what ever next i dont want to know

12 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

I had a Rover 3 litre it was a nice riding car but engine and electrical were terrible.............Rover intake over exhaust engine........

I had some experiences with a 1946 RMA Riley, Ian.

Bodywork let it down, as did the rear springs which needed resetting, and poor brakes. The good stuff; engine, based on a 1929 Kestrel 9 (hemi, twin cam, short push-rod) was quite an advanced engine and produced until 1955. Good gearbox, final transmission by shaft-in-torque tube, had no troubles with the oily bits. "Performance" given as 0-60, 25 seconds.:biggrin: 

Interesting engine in your Rover, (don't laugh it's a side valve) quite efficient it seems, looking at the data, and adaptable throughout their range in the event. It's a new one on me. 

Happy motoring.

• Like 1

Rover 3 litre is (was) overhead inlet side exhaust. Nowt rong weeit  :).  It was originally done that way so as to get the biggest possible valves into the small bore long stroke engines of the day. 

Just had a look at that one philmayfield and I agree it looks stunning but the price is definitely way over the odds. You can get one here in top nick for about the same amount in OZ dollars. RMA, RMB and RME's are quite common collectables here, I'd love one, would have to have two tone paint.