• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

A40 Farina. I thought they were all in the scrapyard. Quite a rarity!

I remember when I worked at Raleigh in the early 1970’s one of the designers had one of these. His ownership of it was the constant source of pulling his leg as I don’t think it ever turned a wheel without something breaking or falling off. Absolutely terrible.

Other than tin worm I thought they were pretty reliable with the A series engine etc.

They must have been one of the very first hatch backs.

Can't remember the above car, the only Countryman that i know of is the "MinI"Countryman .We had a Mini Countryman it had 2 doors on the back, it also had wood around the doors and windows. 

We allso had a "Wosley" 14/40 ? not sure of number. It cost us £10-00 and we went all the way down to  Guildford  Surrey  before it cocked it toes up. It was also use by th police. If you remember the tv police program 999 with inspector lockhart this was the police car. It had colum change gears and real good quality leather seats. The reson we went to see relatives in Surry the M1 had just  opened.

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

A40 Farina.

Back in the late 60's just after passing my test I went looking for a used car and had the choice of two, an A40 Farina and Triumph Herald. I chose the Triumph for the ease of working on the engine, just pivoted the whole of the front of the car forward and sat on the tyre to do most of the regular maintenance.

I had a Spitfire and a couple of GT6’s. It was great to be able to get into the engine and work on them. I’ve still got all the old kit for tuning engines and balancing twin carbs. I miss not doing the weekly tune up whether it was needed or not. What I don’t miss is going round with the touch up pen to get rid of the rust spots every week.

I recall welding up lots of Heralds in the late 60s early 70s . For some reason the outriggers carrying the body were very susceptible to rot. But I liked them because they were quite stylish and easily maintained for the reasons already given.

When I was 18, my dad offered to teach me to drive in his Triumph Herald.  It was a sort of brown/mushroom colour and I said no because I said someone might see me in it and I’d be too embarrassed.  I know, I know I was a stupid, ungrateful teenager but that’s what I said!   so he never asked again and I never learned to drive.  I had a few lessons when I was in my late thirties but didn’t like it.  I suppose I’d got too used to being a passenger by that time ..... watching the scenery instead of the road.  You can’t enjoy seeing the little lambs frolicking in the fields if you’re driving.

When I was 18, I liked those nice little Metropolitan cars... now if my dad had owned one of those, I’d have taken him up on his offer.

• Like 2

On my 17th. birthday I went out that evening in my father’s Vauxhall Victor. Front bench seat, three speed column change. It was a jerky ride as I couldn’t get used to the clutch. He enrolled me on a course of ten lessons (discount price) at BSM, also in a Vauxhall Victor, which I completed and passed my test. All my lessons were in the evening in January and February so it was strange to take a test in the daytime. After passing my test my father was promoted to director in his company and that came with a Jag. He was happy for me to borrow it and I was often sent on trips to Birmingham airport to collect visitors. There were stretches on that trip where I could do over 100mph!

On a Saturday morning I swapped, no cash, my sunbeam Rapier for a mates Herald. Sunday morning swapped it back!

The transverse leaf spring at the rear could make for some 'interesting' handling if you got a bit enthusiastic...

43 minutes ago, siddha said:

I recall welding up lots of Heralds in the late 60s early 70s

Yes I welded the rear outriggers on mine too. Could never get on top of the rust near the bonnet latches but for some strange reason it never had any rust in the sills. Changing the Hardy Spicer universal joints on the rear end was a bit of a bu**er due to the transverse leaf spring set up. It was a very reliable car and only had to replace general wear and tear items but always carried hoses, fan belt, plug leads and points in the boot. It was Dolphin grey 1966 model 

Phil you reminded me I still have some old stuff in the garage , I managed to find these  as I still know where everything is , dont believe that. Its many years since I used them.

gunson1.jpg

gunson2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Antique dealers car!  I knew John Bly (of Antiques Roadshow) when we lived in Herts. Often saw him driving around in his Volvo Estate loaded up with his wares.  

• 1 year later...