• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

one for the vintage vehicle fans   Rog

Old Petter engine coming along fine good clean off and top half stripdown and valves ground in,old carbon deposits cleqaned from cyclinder head and piston crown.all filters changed as

Posted Images

When we moved to South Africa we needed a car, so we brought a little Simca, it was that tiny I'm sure that the engine it is was from a sowing machine, each day when the master went to work we had to get some-one (as well as myself) to help give the car a push to get it to start.

We decided bto go away on holiday and seeing as we wanted to see some of the county, we choose to go down to Durban. As the was the nearest seaside place near us (having 2 small boys who wanted to go and play on a beach)

Problem Simca would it make it 

Problem  Durban was hell of a long way away.

We lived just north of Jo-burg which was about 311 plus 20 miles from Durban total 331 miles. 

Well being young and care free we set off.

Our little Simca puffed away Puffed and Puffed bless her and you will not belive this, our little girl kept going and going. It was brill we saw so much of SA who could have ask for more. The only thing tha amazed me when we went along a dirt track road that took us into Durban,  name of the road GOLDEN HIGHWAY. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

One of the strangest things I've ever eaten,

Tofu is on my list of once but never again too

Arnold, you have been to Japan, have you ever eaten Natto, fermented soybeans with all the visual appeal of snot.

Cous Cous, what is that tasteless clag all about?

All forms of offal, tripe, brains, heart, kidneys, tongue, brawn. black and white pudding, I could go on but you get the gist.

morning radfordred Maybe you will come to the rescue as a night on a beautiful pure white horse, now I have been with master since I was 16 coorrr!!! so long ago, but  he never likes his name mentioned, he doe's not like to place any post any were, in fact he' s a bit like victor mildrew, but after all the blissfull years I put up with him.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Who didn't want one of these back in the sixties?

P1090937.jpg

Lotus Cortina, picture taken at Hubberts Bridge near Boston last year

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

One of the teachers at Carlton le Willows had one in the late 60s. He always made sure it was locked and visible from his classroom window to keep us little scrotes well away from it.

Mind you, there still seem to be a lot of Mk1s around which have been given a Lotus paint job and badges, but not the Lotus mods and running gear, to enhance their value.

• Like 1

Rather you than me! :biggrin:

There’s some barns near to me with a couple like that. Nobody ever goes there. I must take walk over and have a look. I’ve not been for years. There’s a lot of old farm kit as well. It can be seen on ‘punters.throats.flotation’ on ‘what three words’. It has no connection with the nearby house. The person who owns the surrounding farmland lets it out to Hammonds, our local big farmers but he lives in Nottingham and has not been around for years.

55 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Now, if it was a Firenza…

I had an 1800 Firenza for a couple of years in the late 70s. Looked good but had no life or spark; lumpy and slow.

Many years later I discovered the problem was with the carburettors; whatever were fitted as standard were useless, but if they were replaced with another brand the car was totally transformed.

I learned that about 25 years too late.

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Are you going to rub it down with wire wool and paint in South Notts colours Rog?

Not me mate, I saw it in one of the barns where I take the gun for a walk, it was stored in an outbuilding for some time but the farmer put it in the open end barn ready for someone to come and pick it up, hardly any rot on it anywhere so should be a fairly easy resto job, engine turned over, good spark and the oil was clean

Rog

• Like 1