• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a film buff I probably have a lot of memorable lines from films (I would not call them famous - hardly any of the above are). In this case I prefer the philosophical approach. One that always to

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception I could dance with you till the cows come home, on second thought I'll dance with the cows till you come home Marry me and

NO NEED to be like that Den,

In the western 'The Professionals', Ralph Bellamy calls Lee Marvin a bastard, to which Marvin replies 'In my case an accident of birth, but you sir are a self made man'. Priceless. Lee Marvin.... One of the all time greats.

Being a film buff I probably have a lot of memorable lines from films (I would not call them famous - hardly any of the above are). In this case I prefer the philosophical approach. One that always touches me when I hear it in the film Its a Wonderful Life, is spoken by Clarence Oddbody, the Guardian Angel sent down to put George Bailey (played by James Stewart) back on the straight and narrow. He had wished he had never been born, and his wish was granted, with the result no-one recognised him, and his good deeds of the past were unknown in the town he lived and worked in.

At his wit's end, still not realising that he really had never been born (his own mother didn't recognise him, and the brother he saved from drowning did actually drown because he wasn't there to save him) Clarence told him that "every man's life touches so many other lives". How true this is. Sit down and think what it would be like if you had never been born, and the effect it would have made in some way or other to the people you know, married, was the father of, worked with. Worse still, perhaps, you would not be a Nottstalgian.

• Upvote 4

#40. Chulla, I would have double liked your post if there had been a facility for this!

• Upvote 1

Re #40. That's quite sad Chulla. It made me think that if I had not been born nobody would notice.

I was adopted at six weeks and didn't know till I was in my thirties. I recently managed to get my birth mothers name, by obtaining my original birth certificate thanks to Social Services. I can't be bothered to trace any surviving relatives.

II was happy with my childhood though, and everything I've done in adulthood I thought was right.

"I don't need no monument, let this life be my testament"

• Upvote 2

# 46. Now I feel like crying, FLY2, when you said that no-one would notice if you'd never been born. (Sorry for telling you off about killing mice in another post!). I'm sure that's not true as even when we're not aware of it, our lives touch other people's in ways we perhaps will never know. I believe each of us is special, and that there is a purpose to each of our lives. The world would be a different place if you weren't in it, and also this forum!!

• Upvote 1

I've just shared what you said with my husband and he's said I can tell you that he was adopted along with his twin brother when they were 3 years old. Their birth mother died when they were 4 months old and their father was unable to look after them as he also had 2 other children, so they were put in a hospital in Hereford (the old Workhouse) and looked after by the nurses there. They were both adopted together so that was good, and they had a relatively happy life from then on. They only found out they were adopted when they were14, and that caused a few problems especially with his parents and his brother. And my husband only found out the details of his adoption when his birth father died. We visited where he had lived and the man next door said that he (the birth father) had a photograph of twin babies which he always kept by his bed.

Quite a few famous quotes here, that never happened:

"Not a lot of people know that"

"You dirty rat"

"Play it again Sam"

Leastways, that's the claim. There as dozens of quotes by varuous actors, who deny ever saying them.

All of these apparently, were used by impressionists who created the line as a part of their act.

I remember Peter Sellars on th Parkinso show, many years ago, did his impression of Michael Caine, in which he said the following:

"D' you know... that man over there: killed 40 men, maybe more. Not a lot of people know that"

Since then the phrase has stuck.