Alfreton Rd/Nuthall Rd lost pubs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheeky bleeder, I spent some time in there, never saw anything wrong!

From Bentinck Road up to Canning Circus it is a bit rough. The shops all seem to be junk shops, pizza shops, mobile phone shops other fast food shops all of which seem to be run by non indigenous memb

I go to a nail bar on Alfreton Rd when walking there it certainly isn't the most pleasant place to be. As Malcolm said. Endless fast food takeaways and phone shops. Sad really as Mum tells me it used

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back in the 60s those pubs were thriving,You had solo singers bands, Not much trouble the occasional punch up,

Anyone Remember Big Sam Foster, Fate anyone great Mr he always looked out for me in my early days. Do a bit of gigging myself these days

When I can get them wat with the pubs closing any offers LOL.

• Upvote 1

Marquis of Waterford was a nice whitbread boozer- the langham--- well lets just leave it there...

Took a lass from Mansfield in there once..........................she thought it was Posh.... :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Did a few walks to blow away the cobwebs,things were simple in those days; strolled down Raleigh st..met Walter st.then onto All Saints st,which logically has All Saints Church on it. Nipped in ( first time ever!) splendid inside,into the Arboretum, paid respects to me Mam,walked to Chatham st,across Mansfield rd and up Corporation oaks??previous nights intake truly gone!!

Is Corporation Oaks still standing? One of my school friends lived there, I thought her house was really posh (being a Medders girl) - her parents ran a newsagents on Mansfield Rd. Being quite innocent in those days I never understood why her surname (Coughtrey) was different to the one over the shop door, realise now her mum had remarried.

#28 - do you mean the Langham on oh blimey I've forgotten the road - the one running through Hyson Green to Basford. Is it Radford Road? Anyway I used to babysit for the landlady in the early 70's, there was a guy fantastic guitar player called Cozzy or similar. He used to play it behind his head, through his legs.

Knew a lad from Radford played like that in a local group late 60s early 70s cant remember the group but his name was Mick Costello,sadly killed on Alfreton rd outside the pub that later became a Lap dance place ?

Thanks Benjamin - it could easily have been him, right period and Cozzy short for Costello? He was very skinny I recal. How sad that he got killed, spookily I was only talking about him a couple of weeks ago when chatting about great guitarists. He played it with his teeth too .

Sad to see the Spread eagle and the Alma in such a disgraceful state. My grandparents and some aunts and uncles lived next door to the Spread. The back yard entrance was on Peveril St., so spent a bit of time there as a youngster.

Lap dance place was Conrads (don't ask)

Went to a DO there once Den,............wife kept looking at the Pole;...........told her 'Don't even think about it'

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton #25

Enjoyed those two photos of Alfreton Road in the sixties especially the second one showing the Mini Traveler with the roof rack, The Ford Consul Classic and the Triumph Herald Estate. Those cars would be worth a few bob today.

• 2 months later...

Knew a lad from Radford played like that in a local group late 60s early 70s cant remember the group but his name was Mick Costello,sadly killed on Alfreton rd outside the pub that later became a Lap dance place ?

Was he married ? To Pauline for a while and did he do session work with paper lace and don woods country sound

I may have the wrong person

So would be great full for any info

would'nt rule him out,it was late 60s when he married my cousin and it did,nt last long,he was a bit of a ladies man,............he got run over and killed outside the Spread Eagle in the 80s I think.

If it is him He was also an alcoholic and put my mum in hospital quite a few time , I was 6 when we left my mum sold all the furniture down stairs as he was asleep upstairs as he had been drinking all night

We lived in rarely squarie, we were driving away in a black cab he woke up

That said he was a good musician

Not sure what made me think about him

Thank for replying

I hope your cousin has found someone who treats her Wright .

• Upvote 1

yes MD sounds like him,he was alcholic,really nice lad most of the time,think my cousin soon rumbled him,she's always been happy never married again (might be reason lol.) still a very smart and attractive woman at 71.

• 6 years later...