Alfreton Rd/Nuthall Rd lost pubs

I realised the other day just how many ex-pubs there are between Canning Circus and Cinderhill. Here's a list of the ones I noticed. Any others I missed?

Running Horse

Rose & Crown

Shipstone's pub on left

Generous Briton

Banks' pub on right

Forest Tavern? corner of Forest Rd

Spread Eagle

Alma

Grand

Then further on

John Barleycorn

White Lion

Red Lion

Collier's Arms

The only pubs remaining are The Nag's Head, Whitemoor, Newcastle Arms and whatever the Broxtowe Inn is called these days.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheeky bleeder, I spent some time in there, never saw anything wrong!

From Bentinck Road up to Canning Circus it is a bit rough. The shops all seem to be junk shops, pizza shops, mobile phone shops other fast food shops all of which seem to be run by non indigenous memb

I go to a nail bar on Alfreton Rd when walking there it certainly isn't the most pleasant place to be. As Malcolm said. Endless fast food takeaways and phone shops. Sad really as Mum tells me it used

Wheatsheaf, bottom of Aspley Lane !

Now boarded up.

Running Horse, White Lion, Rose & Crown maybe...... Mmmmm I'm struggling now.

Alma was full of druggies, odd balls and general detritus even in the early 70's.

• Upvote 1

A colleague of mine used to work there in the 70's and 80's and it was a right flea pit then.

Running Horse, White Lion, Rose & Crown maybe...... Mmmmm I'm struggling now.

Alma was full of druggies, odd balls and general detritus even in the early 70's.

Cheeky bleeder, I spent some time in there, never saw anything wrong!

• Upvote 2

You didn't look in the right place !!!!!

#1 DJ Brenton

From your pub listing for the Alfreton Road segment from Canning C I have added a couple - hope this helps.

Rose & Crown

Shipstone's pub on left The WIndmill Inn?

Generous Briton

Cricketers Arms

Banks' pub on right - Queens Hotel

Forest Tavern? corner of Forest Rd - Forest Inn

Spread Eagle

Alma

Grand

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I fear for Alfreton Road.

Not just because of the pubs closing, the area as a whole looks like it's going to be the next Arkwright Street.

Decaying buildings, businesses closing.

Ghost town scenario.

I've no doubt that they'll just buldoze it and leave it as a wasteland for several decades.

From Bentinck Road up to Canning Circus it is a bit rough. The shops all seem to be junk shops, pizza shops, mobile phone shops other fast food shops all of which seem to be run by non indigenous members of the Nottingham population.

• Upvote 2

I go to a nail bar on Alfreton Rd when walking there it certainly isn't the most pleasant place to be. As Malcolm said. Endless fast food takeaways and phone shops. Sad really as Mum tells me it used to be a great drinking area 'back in her day'

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind if the opportunity was taken to demolish and rebuild with a wider road tbh. When you can leave the M1 and drive without interruption right into the centre of Leeds it makes you realise how bad the last couple of miles into Nottingham are. I'm not sure there's ,much left that would be missed.

• Upvote 2

And all so close to City centre.Mind you i don't think the motorway coming straight in would exactly enhance it,it has'nt Leeds and Glasgow.

It's not so much that it's in need of replacement.

It's what they will replace it with.

Like I say, I'm sure that things will decay to the point that most of the buildings will have to be pulled down, but then it will just be left looking like a bombsite

The city planners should be formulating a plan, canvassing the local area, and looking at what Nottingham actually needs - and they should be doing that now.

But unfortunately they lack the imagination and the will to take responsibility.

I too remember what Alfreton Road was like years ago.

It was never posh, but it was a hive of activity and it had a community spirit.

• Upvote 2