0420151529_Burst01.jpg

We were talking about this church on Robbies picture thread the other day. This is a water color of the gate painted back in 63 by a local artist. Late Father in law bought it for us as a wedding gift. Now 52 years old. I still get a lot of pleasue out of it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were talking about this church on Robbies picture thread the other day. This is a water color of the gate painted back in 63 by a local artist. Late Father in law bought it for us as a wedding g

I love your painting Loppylugs. I can understand why you treasure it. This is my personal image of the Church. It is on my "Living Room Wall"and I look at it countless times a day. The original paint

Not of Gedling church, but from Gedling church. Phoenix Farm before it was demolished, looking towards Arnold.

DSCF1524.jpg

I love your painting Loppylugs. I can understand why you treasure it.

This is my personal image of the Church. It is on my "Living Room Wall"and I look at it countless times a day. The original painting was bought by my younger brother from a local artist.

Sadly my young brother passed away six years ago and the painting could only go to one of us. My youngest sister had four more copies made and framed for the other four of us, and like you: I treasure it. The picture is alot bigger than it might appear on here, and you can see more detail in reality. I have brought the Photo forward from the "My daily reminder" thread, which has some other nice memories on there, shared by the Nottstalgians

• Upvote 7

Can you remember who the artist was, Carni? Mine was Harry Allen. I think he did quite a bit of painting in the Gedling area at the time.

Your picture gives a good perspective on the old fountain and bottom of Arnold lane area. I can understand why you treasure it.

Sorry we have ended up with two threads about Gedling Church. Could they perhaps be merged

The little signature in the bottom right hand side is a Capital P with a C entwined followed by 89. It means nothing to me. My brother bought the original painting after I had left Nottingham.

I have tried to post a close up of the signature, but I am afraid I have lost the knack. My son is coming to stay tomorrow. I will try again then!

Just spoken with family in Gedling. Afraid they also have no idea about the artists name. The only info I could get was that he was from Gedling and he was also a friend of my brothers.

Thankyou for that information NB.

I am interested, and I will have a look for the site, to see what I can find out. I did ask my brother some time before he got ill if he would ask if the person would paint another veiw of the Church for me. But it wasn't to be.

It may turn out that he was just a talented friend of my brothers and not a payed artist? I would have liked a painting, but I am happy to at least have my copy to look at every day.

Came across a Gedling Church tea towel today. I knew it was around here somewhere. Belonged to my late wife. She could never bring herself to dry dishes on it so it hung on the kitchen wall in Canada for a long time. You can see from the creases its been folded up for a while. I hung it on the fence to get the photo out in the sun. seems to be a popular angle for a view of the church. I will have a look through my slides tonight see what else might be in there.

0421151552.jpg

• Upvote 4

I was prowling around online tonight looking for any references to Canon Watson. Haven't found much so far but one search item took me to the following link.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/default.htm

This site may have been mentioned before on Nottstalgia but it is a wonderful resource for info on Nottingham and surrounding areas. Canon Watson is mentioned there in passing but only with reference to the position he held. I look forward to spending quite a bit of time on the Nottinghamshire history site. So much there that I never knew.

Here is a shot of the interior of Gedling church. I well remember sitting in that front seat waiting for my bride to show up. She was late!!!!

Began to wonder if she'd changed her mind. :unsure: Photo taken in 1974 on one of our trips back.

I will post one or two more in the days ahead for the Gedling churchians here. Hope you can fill us in on a bit more recent history than I have been able to find. I know they have a website I will go and poke around there.

scan0025.jpg

• Upvote 2

I remember Gedling church, as each annual christmas carol service was held there by Gedling Sec Mod when I was in the school choir !

The only thing I can see about Canon Watson is when he was a Reverend . C.H.B. Watson was working near Retford in 1951 and a year later was assisting at a marriage in W.Bridgford . Unfortunately the online archives only go up to the very early 50s.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...
On 4/23/2015 at 1:20 AM, loppylugs said:

I was prowling around online tonight looking for any references to Canon Watson. Haven't found much so far but one search item took me to the following link.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/default.htm

This site may have been mentioned before on Nottstalgia but it is a wonderful resource for info on Nottingham and surrounding areas. Canon Watson is mentioned there in passing but only with reference to the position he held. I look forward to spending quite a bit of time on the Nottinghamshire history site. So much there that I never knew.

Here is a shot of the interior of Gedling church. I well remember sitting in that front seat waiting for my bride to show up. She was late!!!!

Began to wonder if she'd changed her mind. :unsure: Photo taken in 1974 on one of our trips back.

I will post one or two more in the days ahead for the Gedling churchians here. Hope you can fill us in on a bit more recent history than I have been able to find. I know they have a website I will go and poke around there.

scan0025.jpg

Loppylugs, referring to your comment about sitting in that front row seat; waiting for your bride to arrive, just a thought that my husband sat on that very seat waiting for me in 1966. Makes me wonder how many more of our NS males sat there waiting for their own brides to turn up. I bet there is a few.

• Upvote 1

#14 As you know carni my late husband also sat on that front seat two months after yours.

I go back to All Hallows occasionally usually at Christmas time feeling very nostalgic but last

Christmas I was shocked to see all the old pews had been taken out with other original

features. It was as if its heart had been ripped out, or am I just being a sentimental oldie.

I was told it was to make it community friendly.  

It is becoming the norm to rip pews and other ancient fittings out of churches these days and replace them with sofas from dfs!!

I took a 90 year old friend to one of the many services held to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday at a local church back in June. My friend, now a widow, had been married in the church. She was dismayed to see that all the original pews had gone. I was even more dismayed to see a stage with drums, amplifiers, etc. Fortunately, the service was accompanied by a good organist with traditional hymns and we all had a good sing!

It's only my opinion but I don't approve of the vandalisation of churches in this manner and substituting of solid oak pews with biscuit-jointed tat. The good thing is that it will fall to pieces when the children have jumped on it a few times!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm with you Sue B.  I have not been inside Gedling church in many years now, but I watched a musical perfomance there on You Tube.  I was so disappointed to see those grand old pews now replaced by what looked like stacking chairs.  I don't think they've replaced the organ yet, but it's probably next.  It seems like many in leadership do not understand that you do not attract the community by being just like them.

edited to add.  When I see the drumkits, synthesizers and amps I would leave before they even started, Jill.

• Upvote 1

Me too, Loppy but this was a service specially designed for 90 year olds of whom there were quite a few. Drum kits and amplifiers wouldn't have gone down well with them, or me. By the way, I was only admitted on account of accompanying a 90 year old and not because I am one! Just thought I'd point that out to everyone! ;)

• Upvote 1

If they had to remove the pews for whatever reason, I would have loved to have bought one, or part of on. It would be a good way of raising money for the church as well. I hope they went to a good home and were not just destroyed. I don't know where I would have put it, but I know for sure I would have found somewhere.

#17 &19, Jill and Loppy

Oh dear, you're not going to like what I'm going to say now....

I believe the church is not a building - it's the people, the fellowship of believers, who are the church.  They are people living out their Christian lives, sometimes making mistakes like everyone else but knowing that through Jesus they are able to be forgiven, put things right when this is possible and start again with His help.  

However, I actually quite like like old church buildings - they were lovingly built by, and for, the people of that particular time and I, too, can sometimes feel a sense of awe thinking of all the people who have worshipped there, also those who were married in the place, and not forgetting those who had their last time there before they were laid to rest.  I can admire the workmanship that went into making the old fixtures and fittings but I would much rather see a vibrant worshipping community meeting there than empty pews!   Also, the building is often used for other activities during the week so it needs to be adaptable.  'Church' is not just on Sundays.   For me, 'being Church' Is all day and every day, wherever I am and whoever I'm with.  

I expect I'm in the minority here, but I also like worship bands as well as well-played organ music!

We are all so different on here, aren't we, yet I hope we can all appreciate each other's views.  It would be a bit boring if we were all the same!  

• Upvote 4

You are quite entitled to your views, Margie, and I'm not at all upset by what you've said.

I was brought up in the C of E but was never able to accept the doctrine. I no longer attend the Anglican church and would not describe myself as a Christian. Those who are should be entitled to express their faith and belief in whichever manner they feel appropriate.

• Upvote 2

I'm in agreement with both of you.  No problem.  It boils down to personal tastes and I respect the fact that there are those who see things differently to me.   I'm sure there were folks in Bach's day that didn't like his style of music either.  I read somewhere that there were those in the congregations who just wanted to sing the old hymns and felt that his arrangements and compositions were far too ornamented.  Probably complained he played too loud too, although I've seen no evidence of that.  LOL.

You are quite right.  The church is not a building.  the Greek word is eclesia.  where we get the word ecclesiastical.  Pardon me if the spelling is wrong its been a long day.  I think we tend to relate to these buildings as they were in our day or when we were married there.  Change is almost heretical to us.:rolleyes:

Don't worry Margie.  Peace sister.

• Upvote 1