Just got back from Ted’s talk on Francis Lovel at Gedling Church. Much of the story is as I put down in the article I put on OneDrive, but Ted’s now added a few more pieces to the puzzle.

His further research touches ...

The escape route from the battlefield at East Stoke and the significance of the position of the old Nottingham-Newark road.

If the tomb isn’t Lovel’s, whose is it? All other rebel knights are accounted for. Knights of Henry’s army would surely not have been buried miles in the opposite direction to his army’s advance. Lords of the manor, and influential clergy (even though they wouldn’t have worn armour) are accounted for.

The alabaster slab may be Lovel’s, but might have been moved from its original location during one of the extensive refurbishments the church has undergone.

Interesting talk attended by a few members of the Richard III society as well as the locals.

Only had time to say a brief hello to Ted, as he was off showing the audience the slab, but I’ll email him to see if he’s written it up in article form, and see if I can get get a copy.

• Like 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were talking about this church on Robbies picture thread the other day. This is a water color of the gate painted back in 63 by a local artist. Late Father in law bought it for us as a wedding g

I love your painting Loppylugs. I can understand why you treasure it. This is my personal image of the Church. It is on my "Living Room Wall"and I look at it countless times a day. The original paint

Not of Gedling church, but from Gedling church. Phoenix Farm before it was demolished, looking towards Arnold.

Thanks for the update AG, I am enjoying reading your posts on the subject. It is intriguing stuff and will be interesting to find out who the tomb does belong to. Look forward to reading your next additions of information.