• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were talking about this church on Robbies picture thread the other day. This is a water color of the gate painted back in 63 by a local artist. Late Father in law bought it for us as a wedding g

I love your painting Loppylugs. I can understand why you treasure it. This is my personal image of the Church. It is on my "Living Room Wall"and I look at it countless times a day. The original paint

Not of Gedling church, but from Gedling church. Phoenix Farm before it was demolished, looking towards Arnold.

Good points made here..don't know if I have the wrong end of the stick?. Many old churhes and chapels are lovely buildings and are a marvel to see/inside and out.

As regards using them for prayer..very seldom, I pray and chat to God daily as I go about my business.

St.Anthony has been my mate for so many years- I feel he is by my side.

Quite a few members on here hold different religions and beliefs and that is fine- you are gentle and dear people.

Indeed, Loppy, people complained vociferously about Bach's sacred music. It is, in effect, dance music! The Lutheran congregations didn't like it, believing it to be irreverent! The great Sanctus from the B Minor Mass is a gigue and, as for the Osanna, I frequently dance round the house while listening to, and singing along with it! I draw energy from the music in a way that cannot be achieved with any other kind, for me at least but I've heard others make the same remark.

Bach's Lutheran congregations would have been horrified but, as you will know, before he began any composition, Bach inscribed at the top of the manuscript paper, in German, "To the glory of God!"

• Upvote 1

Carni, I feel sure the pews weren't destroyed when they were removed from the church, unless they were irreparably damaged by woodworm or similar.  In our last church, many people did buy a pew to put in their house - because we live in a rural situation there were several people who had old 'farmhouse type' houses which were able to accommodate them.  

In in our present church, there has been a compromise.....  The side pews and those in the balcony were left in situ but those in the central body of the building were removed.  It works very well.  We certainly couldn't use the building for all the community activities during the week if the central pews were still there.   And it looks nice, too!!

• Upvote 1

Margie I can see where you are coming from regarding community activities

but just a few steps away is the Memorial Hall, with stage toilets and a kitchen.

I would think suitable for any community activity you could want.

I did inquire  if the problem was damage wood worm ect. and was told they were fine.

I do put the destruction of the interior of our old churches on the same level as the destruction

of our old buildings.

I think people will say in years to come , why did we let it happen and no one will have an answer.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

I Love this old song, found in http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/gedling1908/gedlingmanor.htm. I couldn't resist adding it, but not sure if it has been posted before. I know some Gedlingites and other NSs on here will enjoy reading it. For any newcomers, The Notts History site has some really interesting reading on all areas around Nottm.

"GEDLING, PAST AND PRESENT."

"Gedling we know is a rising: place;
They've got a new clock, which has more than one face,
It strikes its hour, and likewise its quarters.
To rouse all those Gedling sons and daughters. 
Chorus.— 
"Up and down Gedling you can walk about free, 
And hear this new clock strike its one, two, three.

"You can see it all over Gedling with half an eye, 
And also from Carlton if you only just try; 
The Rector's determined to please the people, 
So he put a lot of new dials in the old church steeple. 
"Up and down Gedling, &c.

"You've got a new fountain, it stands on the Cross,
And gives very good water for man and for horse, 
And close by stands the blacksmith's shop, 
But it wants two new sides and a good new top.

"You've got some good roads, and a fine set of bells, 
And a pretty good crop both of boys and girls; 
And you've got some new lamps to make your town brighter, 
And to make it still better, a first-class lamplighter.

"You've got a new station, and a new railway, 
For threepence to Nottingham, if you'll just go and pay; 
You've got a coal wharf, and all know what it's done, 
Why! it's brought coals down just four shillings a ton.

"At each end of your town you've got a good tailor, 
You've got three or four shoemakers, and one a good nailer;
You've got some good cricketers who seldom miss catches, 
And last summer played Carlton two very good matches. 
"Up and down Gedling, &c

"Then there's Mr. P. Godfrey, with whom let's have a word, 
And his opposite neighbour, who's Mr. James Bird,
The one he sells milk, and the other sells coals,
One it fattens the body, and t'other warms souls.

"You've a gentleman keeps the "Chesterfield Arms," 
He's a fine lot of bees, and often has swarms, 
One hot summer's morning the bees would not rest, 
So he'd three swarms before dinner and one very good cast.

"You've got fine new kennels, and they're seen very plain, 
And part of a new town near to Westdale Lane;
And you've got a great cannon to guard your town, 
A sergeant, a squire, and an Admiral Brown.
"Up and down Gedling, &c."

• Like 2

Interesting verse Carni .

As far as I can make out the new clock on Gedling Church was 1874.

The landlord of the Chesterfield Arms could have been a John Cheshire , he was certainly there in the 1871 Census. He was also on an earlier census when it said he was landlord and also farmer of 18 acres which shows how rural it must have been in the mid 1800s.

• Like 2

Great photo cliff Ton, one I have never seen before. I think the farm was demolished in 1954. At that time I would have been living in Gedling village near my friend SueB48, and both been aged six. The view from the church is a walk we would have done many times, going up Arnold Lane. 

In the bottom right of the photo you can just see the tops of a row of cottages that ran sideways to the road, my sister had a friend living in one of those and I was with her when she called there many times in later years. Also just past the cottages, same side, would be Jessops Lane, leading down to Greens Farm and one of our routes to Gedling woods.

It looks as if  part of the 'Pit Estate' was built, but I'm not sure when it was started. I do know that as young children living in the village we had a lot of freedom. It seemed a lot safer time in those days and my friend and I (and who else was with us) would go up to the area where those houses are, and further up  and play for hours. No Gedling School at that time, just wild waste land, lots of boggy ground, mud, shrubs, trees. Kids paradise.

Just past the second Lampost is where Cotgrave Ave would have been built , a way onto the estate, through an alley.  Also looking into the distance I can't see the 'Grey Goose' pub, so not sure what year that was built. Anyway it's been and gone now. Just another memory to those people who remember it.

Thanks cliffTon. More please.:)

• Like 5

Great photo. There is a theory that Francis Lovel, Richard III’s right-hand man, died of wounds sustained at Stoke Field in 1487 and was buried in the church. There’s a page on the Church website at ...

http://www.allhallowsgedling.co.uk/francis-lovel.html

Being interested in the history of the Wars of the Roses, I did some research myself. If anyone’s interested I can upload it on here.

• Like 3

I've loaded it to a shared drive on OneDrive, link here https://1drv.ms/w/s!ApciJlF4GJnwagJI_nVoIKOQrJc

Was written in desparation to fill up an online magazine I used to produce! No sources I'm afraid, but mostly from internet.

By the way, there's a talk in All Hallows church at 7:00 pm on Thursday 19th April entitled "Richard III's Henchman". £5.00 and light refreshments (and a pub round the corner!).

(Hope this works!)

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you AG.  I wish we could be there, It is a very interesting topic and I particularly am interested seeing as Gedling is my most favourite of churches. I would enjoy reading anything that can be posted on the subject. Just reread your earlier post and would be interested to see what the talk turns up.

I seem to remember that Ted wrote quite a lengthy and well researched article on the subject. I encouraged him to submit it to one of the history magazines, but don’t know whether he did or not. I’ll try to find out what happened to it. It overlapped with my bit of research quite a lot, but well worth reading. I’ve also encouraged him to have a look at this site - I’m sure he’d love it and would be able to contribute some really interesting thoughts.

I seem to remember that the church was a bit worried they’d be overwhelmed with academics wanting to lift the tomb slab and start taking DNA samples!

Failing something important turning up I’m going to the talk and will “report back”.

• Like 1
On 3/5/2018 at 2:32 PM, AfferGorritt said:

I've loaded it to a shared drive on OneDrive, link here https://1drv.ms/w/s!ApciJlF4GJnwagJI_nVoIKOQrJc

Was written in desparation to fill up an online magazine I used to produce! No sources I'm afraid, but mostly from internet.

By the way, there's a talk in All Hallows church at 7:00 pm on Thursday 19th April entitled "Richard III's Henchman". £5.00 and light refreshments (and a pub round the corner!).

(Hope this works!)

I finally got to read it.  It wouldn't work at first but I finally got there somehow.  Thanks for posting it was an interesting read.