Are there any of our more senior correspondents who remember the City Police sports day which was held at their Mapperley Park ground?

I remember being taken by my parents sometime in the middle 60s and wondered if anyone else has recollections.

#5 Cliff Ton.

I recall a campaign from (influential) local residents in the eighties against development when I think there were moves to sell.

The inter-schools sports days were also held there in the 60s/70s before moving to Harvey Hadden.

Remember playing football there early 60s against City Police,when they were in the Notts Thursday league.

• Upvote 1

I can see my house on there ....... just. Hiding underneath those darn trees. It's not Council policy to pollard them anymore, which is all well and good but I don't think our Sky dish could go on a longer pole than we already have. Might have to go back to Virgin, argghhhh!!

I played rugby for FFGS on there about 1960-62 against a police cadets side. They were big rough bu66ers and thrashed us soundly.

Perhaps that day formed my opinion of the police which has stuck with me to this day.

• Upvote 1

Again so many memories evoked by the small area around Carrington on the map,apart from the Football connection,.......using an old fashioned Coffee Grinder in Farrands on Mansfield rd the whole shop smelled of it,working at the Coop also on Mansfield rd,going for a 'bernie' the 'Grovesnor' ,meeting a girls parents for the 1st time in the Hotel opposite (forgot its name) chasing a shoplifter up Magdala rd,going to a party on Redcliffe rd and seeing 'Pill Popping' for the 1st time,.......and many more things...........Nottingham and its Nottstalga hey !

• Upvote 3

I remember going to a Police sports day. I couldn't have been very old so probably the late 1950's. We had a family friend who wasn't a police man but had some connection with the Police. I am pretty sure that the ground was still used occasionally by the Police for riot training in the 80's although by this time they had Epperstone Manor as a training school with plenty of grounds.

Letsavagoo

The police (at the time was Nottinghamshire Constabulary, none of your county or city police, or even combined constabulary) did do some very basic stuff at Epperstone but mainly it was to fit the big plaggy shields together. Up to the riot on Alfreton Road I received no riot training at all.

Back on thread, I must have played on that ground although I have scant memory of it. I played scrum half for the northern region (That is Durham, Northumbria, West Yorks, South Yorks, Cleveland, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire) and I think that I finished a night shift and played for the police there in the afternoon. I didnt play well. I could hardly see for tiredness and just wanted to cuddle a goalpost and go to sleep.

I remember first accidentally stumbling into this one day during the school holidays. We got in through some broken wooden fencing on Mansfield Road. roughly opposite the Carrington Lido. I have a permanent image of race where a really fat policeman, purple in the face , came in last (of course.) It was funny, but I did feel sorry for him. It was probably around 1957 - 59. I saw acouple of more times, but then I thought it stopped. Funny how these little things can stay with you for life.

Nive to know so many of us remember it.