Pedometer challenge

Back on terra firma again. Including travel days, we were away 18 days, 14 of which were onboard a ship. 2 of those days were sea days when we only did 7000 and 9000 steps. The other days we'd go ashore and walk, walk, walk. We never ever use the lifts on ships, only stairs. My step total for the 18 days was 303,679 steps, or the daily average of 17,148. Phew.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

#451. Well done katyjay. Lots of steps there Gel. Super fit lady. :biggrin:

We keep meaning to do an estimate of the miles we have cycled since the challenge, it will be easier for us to work out an approximate mileage rather than convert to steps. and we are still keeping check on our totals. I must get round to doing it. Remembering is the problem.

You will keep your step count up Katyjay once you get on the Golf course. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

I was given a pedometer from the physio at the local hospital following a triple by-pass at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary earlier this year, I didn't use it at first, but reading this forum has done the trick and I am now a convert.

As Babs and Ashley know, my walking was a little laboured at the Skegness Rockers Reunion this year. Now I am walking better I have decided to start using it. Yesterday I did 4100, not very much, but about half of it included carrying a telescope and tripod in a force seven wind, (it's the bird migration season up here in Shetland).

• Upvote 6

Good for you OLDACE, It worked for me. Got me motivated earlier this year. It gives you an interest and takes your mind off or eases your worries . Hope you get on OK, 4100 is great. Remember the motto.

Keeeeeeep Stepping. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Well done Katyjay, that's an incredible amount of steps in a short time.

Oldace, welcome to our happy club. I aim for 6000 steps a day and generally make it now, but then again when we are home and sorting out our new house it soon adds up.

According to my Fitbit site I have now done 1,863,000 steps since I first synced my fitbit at the end of December.....I expcect hubby has managed that in a few weeks though as he averages around 15,000 a day on site, which just goes to show the difference between our duties.

Keep it up folks, it keeps you healthy and happy.

• Upvote 3

Wow Oldace, 4100 is a great count and you only just started, take a look at some of our counts when we first started,glad you are feeling the benefit, it can only get better, trouble is now, us boys have got to try to keep up with these mega fit girls bless em

Keeeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 1

I do a lot of walking, mainly for pleasure, but never had a clue how many steps that would be.

Just out of curiosity, I worked out roughly how many steps I must have done over the weekend. To keep the maths simple, I assumed I walked 2ft per step. That means I must have done somewhere between 90,000 and 95,000 steps on my two walks, never mind any other steps I did during the two days.

Does that mean I can spend the rest of the year in bed? ;)

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone see that programme called What to Buy and Why, on BBC2 at 8.30 Friday. It gave details and advice on activity trackers. These are worn on the wrist like watches and record all sorts of things about you when you are exercising. One of the parameters is the number of steps you take when walking. Fitbit and other companies make them, some are quite expensive.

They tested their accuracy by having about a dozen people wearing different models walking up that tubular tall structure at the Olympic park. It has almost 400 steps. None recorded the number of steps accurately. Some recorded less, and one at least recorded over 600 steps. Can we believe what our stepometers tell us? Next week it will be lawnmowers being tested.

• Upvote 1

Nice to get on here more often at least during January when work is a bit scarce. (Probably get manic again by the end of the month). Carni, nice to see someone else is a Horncastle maniac like myself and my wife. I particularly love the old co-op junk shop owned by Claire Boam. Had some nice stuff from there.

Back to counting ones footsteps. I must walk thousands of miles around the kitchens I work in each year. Keeps me fit though.

• Upvote 3

Bilbraborn, For quite a few years we had a caravan on Skegness Sands and we visited Horncastle often throughout the summer months. I miss the walk around Horncastle very much; but I admit I bought a lot more collectables than I really needed during that time. Good memories though.

Regarding accuracy with the Pedometers; mine was at the lower end of the price range, it is a Karrimor Ped and it was on offer at £5.99 at Sports Direct. It works on the jolt when you walk.

We did mini tests with it, mainly on our Blackpool holiday. We would start at zero and count as we walked. We were pleased with the results, every so many steps we would check it to see if our calculations were the same, and it was accurate enough for what we needed. Can't wait for the weather to get better so we can start this years ped count.

I never got round to doing a proper years count up at the end of last year, but I'll make more effort this year.

• Upvote 2

We live just around the corner from Horncastle and often go for a slope round the antique shops. Which one is the old co-op?

The good thing about the Fitbit (I have Fitbit One which is clip on) is that you can synchronise it to the website and it keeps a tally of all your steps. Since I started mine on 26th December 2014 I have done 2,447,020 steps. The last alert I got was to tell me I had earned the New Zealand badge as I had reached 990 miles, the length of New Zealand.

A new challenge for this year will be good fun. I wonder if we can more Nottstalgians motivated?

• Upvote 2

Darkazana, I found this map for you, It lists the Old Co-Op by Clare Boam that Bilbraborn mentions. Just scroll down and a list of shops will come up on the left. it is no14 and 20. Hope this helps locate it for you.

As soon as we get into cycling properly again, I will start to add my weekly totals on the Ped Challenge again. Look forward to reading every ones posts.

http://www.greatexpectationshorncastle.co.uk/locatmap.html

• Upvote 1

I'm into the 10th day of the Concept2 January Challenge on the indoor rower. Averaging 20km a day. Wonder how a pedometer would work on the rowing machine at an average of 24spm? Would it record 48 spm? That would still be a tad slower than walking.

Right - got to do another 10km before going to the pub :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

Great that this topic has been resurrected,I have been riding my trike on the turbo trainer in my shed while the darker nights are here to try to keep my (lack of) fitness levels up but will soon get the pedometer out,as you say Darkazana we might get more Nottstalgians motivated and take up the challenge this year,(I expect to see Chulla in the top three this year)last years was good fun and it was good that people who took part got something out of it. Has anyone got an idea of when we should start this years challenge?

Rog

• Upvote 3

New Years Eve springs to mind. LOL

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the antique shops map, There are a lot more than we have found, not sure if we have been in the old co-op building or not and I certainly didn't know about the Tesco in Horncastle...just paid the Boston branch a first visit on Saturday. So we are off to Horncastle tomorrow (we were going to Newarks Morrisons) for a recce.

I don't mind when we start the challenge, at the moment it's easy for me as I have the treadmill at home (we have a turbo trainer for a bike though we haven't set it up yet, too busy with moving in and Christmas). I'm hoping that I can get lots of great walks in at Clumber Park from March onwards so if we start in the warmer months ( perhaps May?) that may be best for everyone, and may encourage more to take part. Perhaps we could arrange a start up meet for everyone to walk....how about at Clumber Park? If we do that for one of my days off I could join in too :jumping: and meet some of you at last.

• Upvote 2

#467 I assume that yours is a tadpole trike then Plantfit? It made me realise that the mk2 'village cruiser' could be tested and developed on my turbo. (Mk1 shown in avatar)

#469 darkazana - would like a walk in Clumber Park.

• Upvote 1

It is a tadpole trike PP so easy to fit on the turbo trainer, would'nt like to try out a Delta on a trainer,too much wheel slip, I think at work we start the challenge towards the back end of spring so that fits in with your suggestion Darkazana, I like the walk idea at Clumber park,

As for the shops in Horncastle,as you go down Congin street to the Tesco (just over the bridge) there is a Co op on the left, While you are in Horncastle don't forget to pay a visit to Myers the cafe more or less opposite The Ship public house, very friendly staff and they do a great breakfast either full English or veggie, both very filling with good quality ingredients,or The Stables just off the market place down a little alleyway at the side of the cobblers,once again great service and great food

Rog

I like the sound of a May Ped start darkazana. That will give the weather chance to warm up a bit for us Most of our challenge is done through cycling and we are already booked in for a holiday at Lythem St Anns , taking our cycles with us.That will give us a kick start. We would enjoy the Clumber Park idea, if our holiday doesn't coincide.

Well done PP #465. You have got us motivated. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

The old Co-op at Horncastle? It is one of at least three shops owned by Claire Boam. If anyone out there loves rummaging around junk shops then that is your place. There is good clean antiques and collectables in the front shop. But go up the steps towards the back and the fun begins. You start with records and curios then further back are old pianos and anything found in a household modern(ish) or old. Upstairs you can find clothes and tablecloths and other rammel. But the best is out the back on all sorts of tables in the yard. All house clearance stuff and what a diverse load of pieces there are. You could spend all morning in that yard. There are even lovely garden ornaments. Then there are all the outhouses jammed with all sorts of stuff.

I got talking to Claire one day and she told me she started her business with funds raised from selling a huge collection of Poole Pottery. If you do go there look out for the very noisy parrot they keep in the shop.

Ah yes I have been to that antique shop then, as I know all about the outside yard. Last time I was there I spoke to a rather large cat who was strolling around the shop to be answered back with a "hello" by an equally large white parrot. I had not noticed him there on previous visits.

Rog when we go to Horncastle tomorrow I shall look out for the coffee shops, always on the lookout for somewhere good to stop. Thanks for the tips.

As regards the Ped Challenge walk, I don't mind organising it, but will have to wait until we are ensconced in Clumber Caravan Club site and know our rota and days off......Well it wouldn't be sporting to arrange it for a working day :) I will bear in mind your days away Carni. We don't start there until March, but if anyone has any ideas for the day and stuff we can include (like a picnic....wouldn't be a proper meet without food!!!) pm me and I'll see what I can put together for sometime in May. I'll set up a proper thread for the Ped Challenge Walk in March.

In the meantime getting practising folk and keeeeeep on stepping!!!! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

If anyone is up for the 2016 Pedometer Challenge Meet Up and Go at Clumber Park in May/June I can definitely sort something out. I will put all details up in a new thread in the Nottstalgia Social Functions forum as has been recommended.

Initial investigations: there are several cycle routes around the park which would serve well as walking routes too. One, which I think may be the best, but have to yet take a recce, is around the lake.

Parking costs are prohibitive £7!!! So I wondered about an evening walk, as parking is free after 6.00pm and may be better for some........There is the Normanton Inn at the Clumber Park Hotel just up the A614 where we could retire for liquid refreshment afterwards if required slywink

Well that's it for now, obviously will go into much more detail if this is going to happen, on it's own thread. Either pm me or let me know through this thread if there is any interest.

• Upvote 1