Grew up eating 'Pobs',Dad always made um,years since i heard the term,had a relative that made em with Tea instead of milk,dirty bugger,put me off Tea for life.lol.

ITS simply a bowl of 'Hot milk' with white bread broken into it,was a great breakfeast for cold winter mornings.

• Upvote 1

Whwn explaining to someone how something is done, you might say something like 'pull it out, screw' the xxx on to it, push it back and pobs - job done'.

Aaaahhh!, just noticed, 666 postings. Is something 'orrible goin to 'appen to me?

Home baked bread that had gone stale was thrown into a bowl soup.........after that Mike Tyson would have had to watch out.

Used to get a cows heel ligament to chew on, cooked of course, we called it Paddi-Wack, or something like that, how strange is that ???

We had a little discussion about pobs in early Feb from #1685 in the "things our parents used to say" thread. A few of us had this delicacy as kids and continue today with variations on the milk ingredient of the recipe!

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I eat a variant of pobs. Hot milk, with stale bread (or even better, stale biscuits) and honey/treacle or even just brown sugar. If I am off walking in the Yorkshire dales or the moors, I often treat myself to that.

My particular moorland recipe is digestive biscuits, hot milk with a sachet of brown sugar nicked from the B&B. Often I have swiped the biscuits from the B&B. Pour hot milk over biscuits. Mash them up and scoff. Ive seen people who must be the joy of places like Go Outdoors or Decathlon, who have paid a fiver for a sachet of freeze dried crap that is only really of use if you are going up Everest, drooling over my simple food.

Used to like Cream Crackers with cream of tomato soup.

Tomato Soup with a slice of bread, broken up into little pieces and added to the soup until all the liquid is absorbed. Mmmm. I don't do it when I'm out though. Not etiquette my dear! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Toast and tomato soups is better than bread and tomato soup...So there! LOL

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had a Golden Wonder chicken style cuppa-soup....it was awful

thumbsdown

• 1 month later...

I remember my Godmother's father eating pobs. Bread with sugar sprinkled over and hot milk poured on. I must have been very young, but I remember watching him eat it and thinking it was because he had no teeth, and that was all he could have. He died when I was six, but I think this memory is earlier than six.

• 2 months later...

Pobs How many years I haven't heard this word. I was born in Lancashire and after we went to live in Nottm I always passed the school holidays with my grandparents and always had pobs for breakfast. I grew up thinking it was a Lancashire thing

• 9 months later...