My favourtie flower is the "Wallflower" but currently this flower is smiling above everything else in the garden:

IMG_2805.JPG

• Upvote 2

I've got some tulips like that, but my favourites are daffs and narcissus. I've had a good variety this year.

A recent favourite of mine is the Meconopsis or Himalayan Blue Poppy. I've had several over the last few years, but have currently grown some from my own seeds. They are a vivid sky blue with orange interiors.

Forget-me-nots, old fashioned primroses (not those gaudy primula things), violets and 'hearts ease.' I've said that's all I want on my coffin when the time comes.... just a little bunch!

My mum loved wild flowers, which she said reminded her of the meadows (with a small 'm'!) she used to know in her childhood, and all the flowers in her garden were the old-fashioned varieties which she called by their familiar names.

We have a Japonica (Japanese Quince) growing up the front of our bungalow. Over the years it grew to an unmanageable bush, but was ablaze with flowers for a week or so each Spring. Last autumn I had a serious hack at it and just left the main stems. We wondered if it would flower so profusely again this year. Judge for yourselves.

42b7e222-6188-4bea-bdb6-b799c3b21b74_zps
  • Upvote 6

Chulla, we used to have one of those bushes at our last house. The more we cut it back the more prolific it became! Used to make quince jelly with the 'apples'

I love them all as flowers can say so much, if we did not have flowers our lives would be so dull.......... Walking in a woodland in the Springtime covered in Bluebells is mind blowing and any new buds etc makes me feel very emotional, as do seeing well stocked gardens, roses, climbing plants and hanging baskets in the Summer............

• Upvote 2

I love Sweet William....... the flower I mean

And you cannot beat a sweet Pea either...........

• Upvote 1

Or a Busy Lizzy..... LOL

Marge.

I get the quinces from it - they are the smaller kind, not those that are pear-shaped, and grate them. I then sprinkle the gratings onto ice cream. Boy! it is wonderful. The ice cream takes away most of the tartness and the blended taste is terrific.

• Upvote 2

Like Michael and Blondie I love them all. I am at present trying to make displays of Alpines in old sinks. My favourites here are the multitudes aof different Saxifrages, Sedums and Sempervivums. In the greenhouse are trays of bedding plants which will be in containers all over the garden by the end of May. In the shallow rockery facing the conservatory are the more invasive Alpines such as Cerastium (Snow in Summer), Aubretia and Eidelweiss.

When I asked my wife what was her favourite flower she said Peonies (!!??).

• Upvote 1

#17: My Pæonies are all a lovely deep red. They flower towards the end of May. Here's a photo of one from last year:

IMG_4106.JPG

• Upvote 3

Chulla, my quinces were small, hard and round but I just washed them and boiled them till they went soft, added sugar, boiled them a bit more then pushed it all through a sieve (hard work) I was probably doing it all wrong but the resulting jelly was beautiful. The first time I did it, I cut them up first but they were so hard, that was very difficult.

Here's how it was before I pruned it. Shame I had to but it was getting out of hand despite fixing it to the wall to stop it flopping.

April%202014_zpsdtnfzhkx.jpg

• Upvote 4

All the spring flowers and blossom trees we're seeing now over here, are wonderful. And gorse! I'd forgotton how vivid it is, not been over in spring before. Lots of bluebells around too.

• Upvote 1

You are obviously quicker on the uptake than the others. You must do cryptic crosswords.