An evocative photo of Wilford

Hi, I apologise for not being on here much recently but I've got a new job at the B & Q garden centre, which, in relation to my other charitable, voluntary works, has kept me very busy, it's also THAT time of year up at the allotment. I should be flogging away at the garden centre today but I've come down with a really savage dose of gastro enteritis which has laid me low for the past few days.

Last weekend, I managed at last to set up my PC and my all singing and dancing scanner which allows me to upload slides and even sort out my old black and white negatives properly. I've got thousands of slides, many of Nottingham and steam trains in the 60's, I've dragged out a tatty old box to experiment with and came across this one, I took it in 1968, interesting to note that every structure visible in the picture has now gone:-

img032.jpg

This is just the start, how I'm going to find time to get these all sorted I'll never know, also in the box by the way are some ancient slides of Crich Tramway Museum when it was just being set up, I'll leave those for another time, I need to find those trollies and trains.

• Upvote 16

Of course, I've been there, but given the financial state of affairs at B&Q it might not be there for much longer, the small stores are fairly safe, the mega stores aren't.

Not much Nottingham stuff in this box, it's full of odds and ends, all my real stuff is cataloged and in the loft, I have found a nice colour slide taken inside Nottingham Shed roundhouse in the 1960's, I'll save that for when I'm more organised, and for you aircraft enthusiasts a photo of the Queens Birthday Flypast in the mid 70's taken from my garden in Witham and featuring 3 Vulcans, 4 Buccaneers and 2 Phantoms and that must be only part of it.

I must find the huge flypast celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, I seem to recall 250 aircraft being involved, I was standing right outside Buckingham Palace at the time, it was so impressive I even found time to stop glaring at Thatcher.

Indeed a very evocative picture that made me think. Those three structures shown had an impact on three generations of our family during the fifties. They all lived together on Wilford Rd. My grandfather worked at the colliery and my uncle at the power station. My cousin would have walked daily to Deering School over the Ha'penny Bridge.

• Upvote 1

My old workplace before I was transferred to Cotgrave to finish my apprenticeship, in 1968.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that picture firbeck. It brings back so many memories for me,as a lad and teenager. Jumped off the bridge with my mate just there. Fished regularly near the power station outflow as a kid.

• Upvote 1

I've just been up into the loft, it's in a bit of a mess since they put in our new central heating system last October. I put all my slides in circular Hannimex carousels, these contain 120 slides each and I've got rather a lot of them!! It's difficult to go through everything without tidying the place up first and even though each box has a description, the writing has faded somewhat. I have to clamber over Hornby Dublo, Dinky toys and some interesting documents re Wollaton Vale in the 1920's, apart from that this bloody illness won't go away and I feel terrible, things will have to wait for a sort out. My oldest slides are in old tile sample boxes I obtained from Castle Place in the 70's, I can't find those anywhere, I started getting annoyed and beat a hasty retreat. I've found some old stuff but I want to get it all together.

I did find Trains 1974 to 1980 but the vital one Trains 1963 to 1974 eluded me, can't find much relating to Nottingham in 74/80 either.

This one intrigues me, I came to the conclusion it was Radcliffe on Soar power station under construction, it must date from the time of the Wilford photo and the telephone wires make me wonder whether it was taken from a train in the early morning, bit of a mystery this one, the chimney looks too thin.

img038.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

my son has recently moved into a new house in wilford,ruddington lane,they are built by Taylor wimpy ,I don't know a lot about wilford, Any idea what was there before the new houses were built?