Rolls Royce Meteor Tank Engines

The engine was named in December 1940.

First engine produced by Meadows ran on test in the last week of March 1942.

RR took over the Bobbers Mill factory on 4 August 1942.

In the fourth week of December 1942 Rover officially took over the Meteor engine from Rolls-Royce. At this time 141 engines had been delivered, all named Meteor.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

That big players warehouse had a large basement which was the hq of the 31st Players Own scouts, my group. We had no idea of what was going on above our heads. There was a large grass field at the back. When we went to annual camp we borrowed 3 of players 7and half ton box vans. Kit bags and tents went in one and 30 or so scouts and masters in the other 2. The roller shutters were left half open to give us light and air. Sounds lethal but we never lost anyone. 

Back to tanks. I had a friend who worked as a civvy at Chilwell REME stripping an rebuilding Meteors. He worked there since the 40s. He later retrained at Jaguars factory to work on the new lightweight tank engines. A very meticulous and methodical man he was. I worked on his car with him occasionally and he wouldn't take short cuts, everything had to be by the book.