Ventriliquist, Keith Harris.

Sorry, but both needed drowning.

RIP Keith.

• Upvote 2

About 18/20 years ago, we saw Keith Harris at Butlins, Skegness. No one in our group was particularly bothered about seeing him, but we went along anyway. His show was called Adult Orville. He also had a Monkey, who hated Orville.

Kieth Harris had the place in an uproar with laughter. His Adult Orville show was nothing like the one he put on for children.

• Upvote 2

RIP Keith Harris and his friends Orville and Cuddles. It seems things were not always so good for this talented entertainer, he had his share of troubles too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32498955

Never been a fan of ventriloquists, but he was one of the bearable one's and the kids loved him. RIP. #6 Yes a troubled life indeed.

This talk about vetriloquists and their dummies had me thinking about a funny story I read in the book Hollywood and the People Who Made It, by Garson Kanin, the director and screenwriter. He tells of when he went on to the set where they were flming a scene with Charlie McCarthy and his dummy. McCarthy was a huge star in pre-war America, and like many other popular acts was put into films to increase their interest with the public and entice them to see a film.

Describing what happened when a two-shot is filmed - ie, two people close together in the same shot, he informs the reader that a microphone on a long boom is suspended over the heads of the actors. The microphone is capable of being swivelled left or right dependeding on who is talking so as to pick up each actor's voice clearly. The dummy sat on McCarthy's knee and when it 'spoke' the microphone man swivelled the mike toward the dummy.

• Upvote 2

Arthur Worsley was the best ventriloquist ever IMHO .

• Upvote 3

Im going to repeat these I saw yesterday

Gest in Geest

and

Orville was lost for words.

RIP Keith Harris

• Upvote 1

May he RIP - he made me laugh.....

I thought Arthur Worsely was good, but Lenny the Lion was my favourite............

• Upvote 1

And Archie Andrews was the worst ever. Who was the one who packed his dummy in a case and it still wouldn't stop talking?

It was Peter Brough who worked him...........

Ray Allan with 'Lord Charles' was good !

The amazing thing about Peter Brough and Archie Andrews (saw them at the Empire), was that they were famous on the radio. When you think of it, you didn't need a dummy; just two voices. OK, the studio audience could see them, but the millions listening couldn't. I mean, if Archie was sick then Peter could wing it without him.

• Upvote 1

We were sooooooo gullible in those days. Oh how many Sunday dinner times did I listen to that. !!!!!

I used to like Shari Lewis with Lambchop. and in later years Ronn Lucas with Scorch