Ever since the council began constructing housing estates, from the late 1920s to recent times, it has never named a roadway as a Street. There must have been a policy never to use the name again. What, I wonder, was the last 'Street' in Nottingham. Anyone know more about this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the council really are not using STREET as a description of a place I for one am really annoyed, that word is ancient and indigenous to the English. And why did they think renaming Meadow Stile La

I found this Chulla, There is a reference to "Queen St" in there. 5th paragraph. If it is not right, it is still interesting to read. .http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1906/nottinghams

#6 Yes, the bread and lard lot!

If the council really are not using STREET as a description of a place I for one am really annoyed, that word is ancient and indigenous to the English. And why did they think renaming Meadow Stile Lane as Lace Way was neccesary? Am I impressed? No. to Mr Chairman planner

• Upvote 3

I noticed that the name wasn't used for anything on Clifton, built in the 1950s, but I hadn't realised the policy goes back even further. The earliest example I can think of is the estate which includes Sutton Passeys Crescent, which was built in the 1920s on part of the Wollaton Hall grounds, and there are no Streets there.

I once read somewhere that councils decided that Street conjured up visions of dingy back-to-back terraces in Victorian slums, so the name was dropped in favour of things like Drive or Terrace or Avenue which apparently are brighter and more modern.

• Upvote 1

Connected with this subject, is it an urban myth or is it in fact true that Broad Eadow Road at Snape Wood was originally called Broad Meadow Road, but the letter M fell off the sign causing it for ever after to be known as Broad Eadow Road?

In a book about Nottingham that I have it states that the City Council issue guidelines for new streets and buildings including
Names of living persons are not normally permitted
Names should not sound like existing ones within the Nottm city area
They should not be difficult to pronounce or spell
If possible names should reflect the past history of the area
Names that could be considered advertising will not be accepted
Names that could be considered offensive will not be accepted

If I recall the name properly (and I do like it) there is a street in W Brigford called Little Bounds, leads to the tennis club, is this an old name or a clever bit of a joke (and breaking the regulations)? An old name - Good - breaking the regs - Better.

• Upvote 1

Clif Ton @ 12 . Weird is the word, how come Severals is a CUL DE SAC ( notice, as in highway code ) and not lead to more? Is it near Baulk Lane not far from Bobs Rock on the way to The Roach? After passing Ewe Lamb Lane?

I believe Little Bounds originates from over a century ago. It would be interesting if it did relate to the Tennis Club of the same era.

Dave, all councils have many regulations about street names, a few of which you stated earlier. When West Bridgford was built in the late 19th century, the Musters family who owned most of the land, stipulated that 'street' should not be used because of the working class connotations in what was to be an upmarket area.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also noticed that in the last 20 years or so, new estates and developments hardly ever have a house number 13 on any of the roads. Do they think everybody is superstitious?

Back in the days of Streets, nobody was worried about that.

We used to own an apartment in a building in USA. We were on floor 14, the floor below was 12. Would it be the case in this country that 13 is not used?

We didn't have a room 13 when we had the motel. Didn't know of any other motel in town that had one either.

My feet never touch the ground Robbie ........actually that's not the case! I just have to go with the flow but it stops me getting bored.

We didn't have a room 13 when we had the motel. Didn't know of any other motel in town that had one either.

Most house numbers now go from 12 to 12a instead of having a number 13 which is considered unlucky by some.