Bartolomeo Cristofori, inventor of the piano would be 360 today. I knew who invented it but I didn't know it was his birthday today. Explains the funny Google picture

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/who-invented-the-piano-bartolomeo-cristofori--celebrated-in-todays-google-doodle-10223212.html

• Upvote 1

I love pianos and piano music but never heard of an inventor before, the first few must have been gruesome. I spent years on piecework finishing off piano actions, came to hate them, ruined an eye from squinting at them, signed every one done and still , like a fool , go in the piano shop when in a new city and look for my sig.

• Upvote 1

Funny , never realised that the name pianoforte translated means soft-loud .

Good job we left it to the original , somehow saying "I'm going to tickle the ivories on the old soft-loud " , doesn't have the same ring to it:)

• Upvote 1

I love pianos and piano music but never heard of an inventor before, the first few must have been gruesome. I spent years on piecework finishing off piano actions, came to hate them, ruined an eye from squinting at them, signed every one done and still , like a fool , go in the piano shop when in a new city and look for my sig.

You must have done time at Herrburger Brooks

Always wanted to play the piano or organ, but never got round to it, something I have always regretted...........

Me too Blondie. We bought a piano when our boys were young as they both wanted to learn to play. I thought I'd have a go too but never got around to it. The kids didn't carry on with lessons for long and we gave the piano away to our neighbour Wild Willy Barrett

• Upvote 1

You are never too old, ladies. I started piano and moved on to organ at 67. I know I will never be a great organist, too late for that now, but I have a lot of fun and it is great exercise for body and brain. Having a good teacher helps a lot. I tried to learn piano a couple of times in earlier years using teach yourself books, but never followed through. I guess I just need someone to say, " work on this, and have it ready by next week."

• Upvote 1

I BROKE some of my fingers a few years ago,and when the Doctor was attending to me,i asked him if i'd be able to play the Piano when they've healed?

'Ofcourse you will' he said'

'AH thats good,i never could before' i replied........................i'll get me coat.

• Upvote 4