I joined the site yesterday after looking for something. I grew up in Nottingham, went to Peveril School on Robins Wood Road in the late 50's left early 60's and at that time I lived on Elstree Drive. Spent alot of time at the Dungeon Club, Boat and Brit in the 60's. I moved to the USA in '67 and spent many years there before returning home.

• Upvote 2

Welcome, calbrit. From your handle it looks like you were in California. If so, which part?

Hi Calbrit and welcome to this wonderful site. By the dates you have given I was at Peveril at the same which if i am not wrong would be the same time as Sue Pollard.

I also went down the Dungeon Club as did a lot of people on this site and there are many posts regarding this.

Know LA quite well. We stayed with friend in Culver City a few times. Huntingdon gardens is our favourite spot - so peaceful and pleasant. Great experiences driving on the downtown freeways in rush-hour, trying to find your exit lane! The King's Arms in Santa Monica is the place to hear English voices, and eat fish and chips, and steak and kidney pies, and get the football results - home from home, really. Oh, and decent weather.

Dave 48 no I wasnt at Peveril when Sue Pollard was there missed by a year. Mr Ward was the HM, Miss Lee HMistress, Mr Clark was my form teacher other names I recall: Mr Cole, Mr Hawley, Mrs Spears (my favourite teacher)Mr Wragg, Miss Lambert.

Dave 48 no I wasnt at Peveril when Sue Pollard was there missed by a year. Mr Ward was the HM, Miss Lee HMistress, Mr Clark was my form teacher other names I recall: Mr Cole, Mr Hawley, Mrs Spears (my favourite teacher)Mr Wragg, Miss Lambert.

I will send you a PM if that's ok.

Dont miss those freeways at all Chulla. I go over every year to visit and swear they get busier. A friend recently told me they have widened the 5 between San Diego and LA to 8 lanes! Theres no time thats rush hour now - its all day. Know the Kings Head (sorry to correct you) very well

Welcome calbrit, I don't miss the city freeways one bit, been caught up in the Sacramento commute many times, both ends of the day, glad to have got out of that liberal infested state and away from cities. I like my country living, where the commute is on empty country roads.

Last time I was in a city was last year, when I had to go to Memphis to renew my green card, at least I think it was last year, time flies these days.

I once read/heard that the 10 from LA to Santa Monica was the world's busiest road. Had to use it get into and out of Culver City - forget the surface streets. Tried it once from San Marino to Culver City - worse than the freeways.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, calbrit. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories.

Am I the only nosey parker on here who hates it when people go off the thread and onto the Personal Messenger. We want to know what's going off. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Cal Brit #1 Welcome, now you have to get used to living in small spaces, closer horizons, SMALL autos, there's a guy on here who may let you into a 10HP car. But here you can walk from one city boundary to the opposite, just need strong shoes, slow down Pal, and if you are looking for Info , Clues , the Notties will overwhelm you with answers.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Hi.New to Nottstalgia.I have lived in Eastwood Kimberley Arnold Barnby Moor Beeston Chilwell (3 times) Kirkby in Ashfield Mansfield and Bramcote. Oh, and Colwick.

Don't remember being in Eastwood and Kimberley though, I was just a baby.

Moved around a lot due to my Dad's job. I miss Nottingham very much. I live in Rutland now and don't have my own transport so I don't get back much. My daughter brings me over occasionally to visit my parents (89 and 84 - bless them both) who live in Toton now.I was born in 1954.

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome AngelaRose. I hope you enjoy being part of Nottstalgia and have fun joining in and sharing your memories. There are plenty of people on here to help with anything you want to research. :biggrin: