It was my favourite in Miners Welfares but it wasn't always good in town

Shippos new brew is really quite delectable. I remember from the late 70s that it had a distinct lemony taste. I adored it. The new brew has much of the taste I recall. Of course, a bad pint of shippos was awful. For interest's sake, how much of Shippos of the late 1970s and early 80s would now be considered to be "real ale"?

I cannot recall the taste of home ales, although I am certain I have drunk many pints of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to get my hands on a Home Ales or Shipstones beer pump for my home brew. I have a hand pump but the glass electrics of Shippos and the plastic electric cubes of Home have more class. It pains me to think that so many hundreds of them were thrown away.

• Upvote 1

I would love to get my hands on a Home Ales or Shipstones beer pump for my home brew. I have a hand pump but the glass electrics of Shippos and the plastic electric cubes of Home have more class. It pains me to think that so many hundreds of them were thrown away.

Along with the beer, it was probably the best thing to do with them!

• 1 month later...

#1 same article in june edition of 'Bygones' with pictures,i noticed that it states 'Home ales pubs' throughout the county, and wondered do any of you know of them having pubs outside the county,..?.........i knew of one.

#1 same article in june edition of 'Bygones' with pictures,i noticed that it states 'Home ales pubs' throughout the county, and wondered do any of you know of them having pubs outside the county,..?.........i knew of one.

Black horse, Hose

Royal Leicesters, Leicester

Stag and Pheasant, Loughborough

Nautical William, Wigston Magna

Turk's Head, Maltby-le-Marsh, Lincs.

Lion Hotel, Sleaford

Rhino, Chaddesden, Derby (originally an Offilers pub)

Jessop Arms, Codnor

Vulcan Arms, Derby

Sir John Warren, Loscoe

Eclipse, Loscoe

Midland Hotel, North Wingfield

Beehive, Ripley

King William, Ripley

Devonshire, Somercotes

This is a non-exhaustive list from the Brewery History Society website and is only a list of those establishments which still retain traces of their origins like signs, so there would be many more; given the vast number of miners' welfares and working mens' clubs etc which also served Home Ales there were probably hundreds of outlets outside Nottinghamshire itself. I'm pretty sure there were Home Ales pubs in either Mablethorpe or Skeggy too.

And of course there were a lot of off-licences too; remember that horrible "Luncheon ale" they used to sell in pint bottles?

Stag & Pheasant Loughborough had been closed a few years before I came to live here (1971)

But there were the following Home Ales pubs in Loughborough

Beacon

Blacksmiths

Three Crowns

Barley Mow

Black Bull

I drank in The Beacon for a number of years & it is now Everards

The Blacksmiths is still there but I don't know about the beer

The Three Crowns is a "Free house"

The Barley Mow is now shops

The Black Bull a gym

The Stag & Pheasant is a hair dressers + a shop with flats above

Home at one time had over 400 pubs

Stag & Pheasant Loughborough had been closed a few years before I came to live here (1971)

I had family in Loughborough (my grandmother on mum's side and also my aunt and uncle) and was a regular visitor to the town. Over the course of about 20 years on-and-off volunteering at GCR, I got to know many of the pubs quite well.

Back in the late 1970's/early 80's Loughborough was a good town to drink in if you liked real ale, as I do; the GCR's Signal & Telegraph dept. was a notoriously hard-drinking crew, not something that happens these days in the preserved railway scene as, for good or ill, Elf and Safety regulations have pretty much killed the social side off.

Loughborough is still OK for real ale my favourite pubs being

Organ Grinder(Blue Monkey)

Swan in the rushes (Castle Rock)

Generous Briton (Free House)

There is also The Moon & Bell(Wetherspoons)

Ref' my question then #12,there were very many outside the county,i could only recall one,and that was the Peter Pan' in Peterborough Cambs.

Spot on Radford Red #9. It's nothing like Home Bitter. More like another one of those over-hopped, light coloured impersonators of traditional English Bitter which is (should be) a copper/medium brown affair.

The Post (and the new owners of the name Home Ales) made a big show of relaunching "Home Ales" but in the same article declared that they would not be using the old Home Ales recipes. So really they're depending on the old name to sell totally unconnected beers (stop laughing Scriv). Unlike the Shipstones relaunch, which IS based on the old recipe and brewed by a former Shippo's brewer, so must be something like the old stuff.

And for the record, a pint of well-kept Home Bitter, drawn by hand pump from the cask in a cool cellar was a truly great pint. Kimberley (or H&H) Bitter was always too sweet for my liking and Mansfield often had a "buttery" taste/smell (especially in The Bell in town).