where are the flowers.

Bluebell hill, Where were the bluebells when it was so called, I wonder.

And crocus street the meadows I suppose the meadows were full of crocus. not many about nowadays.

Redhill was it so called because of the red clay I wonder

• Upvote 1

Bluebell hill, Where were the bluebells when it was so called, I wonder.

From the 1830s, years before any houses were built. Blue Bell Hill is marked (below the word 'Town') and I'll guess there really were bluebells then.

bluebell.jpg

Not forgetting the many places round Nottingham with the word 'Cherry' in them. It seems there were cherry orchards everywhere...must have been a sight in flower.

Thousands strolled to Wilford each year for the Cherry festival...A bit like the strawberries at Wimbledon nowadays,a popular pastime.......wonder why they all disappeared?

I lived on Cherrywood Gdns off Porchester Rd and Gardenia Grove , Mapperley .....not even sure I would recognise a gardenia !

• 1 month later...

I live on Gardenia Grove, in Mapperley, and a couple of years ago, they were selling Gardenia plants in Lidl. They are small, white flowers. I bought some, and planted them in the front garden - They died!! It would be more appropriate if I lived on Dandelion Grove - I've got millions of those!!!

• Upvote 4

I have the surname "Flowers" somewhere in my family tree, think they came from the Ruddington area.

In the first years of the 20th century my grandmother lived successively at a number of different houses on Lily Street off Dame Agnes Street. In the same complex of terraced houses there were also other flower or tree-related names : Rose Street, Lupin Street, Lavender Street, Lilac Street, Laburnum Street, Linden Street, Dahlia Street and Laurel Street, also Sycamore Road, and arguably Broad Oak Terrace and Bloomfield Street too. Strangely there was one "odd man out" - Pole Street.

• Upvote 1

Hi dat47.. I have been trying to contact you via PM. Can you check your in box.