I camped at the 'Dirty Duck 'in the mid eighties with the intention of fishing the canal next day. The first night I ground baited up a good looking swim before going to the pub, and then again before going to bed, woke up at about 8 in the morning and looked over the bank with the intention of baiting up again before breakfast, only to see a match on, not best pleased (cos I had mentioned the fact that I was there for the fishing to the landlord the night previous, and he 'forgot' there was a match on) Any way the swim I had baited up was one of the only ones not being used , and I asked one of the fishermen what time they were finishing, he told me so I baited up again (The nearest fishermen were not best pleased,) and as they were packing up I cast in and had already caught two decent sized Carp by the time the weigh in was being completed (All the fish being in my swim eating my "Secret " ground bait

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I knew a Martin Lacey that lived in Ilkeston - it isn't the same one by any chance?

Look at Rob237's post Number 9 on this forum for a piccy.

That bit about him getting narky with a Radio Nott'm reporter happened ages ago didn't it? I'm sure I heard that story before Christmas (I'm probably wrong again though)

Look at Rob237's post Number 9 on this forum for a piccy.

That bit about him getting narky with a Radio Nott'm reporter happened ages ago didn't it? I'm sure I heard that story before Christmas (I'm probably wrong again though)

It could be - but I haven't seen him for about 40 years so I am certainly not sure. I do remember he had a very attractive sister - but I can't remember her name!

Editt - yes I can, it was Carol!

Old age ain't all it's cracked up to be! ;)

• 6 years later...

a bit late on this post,,,,,,

I knew Martin Lacey very loosely, as i used to visit his 'zoo' in the 60's.

In those days he was more interested in the animals, than the public, or their perception of his animal - as was John Aspinal at the time.

The reason I'm looking into the name is that I saw the opening episode of OUR ZOO.

Mottishead got his bears from a guy called 'Mr Lacey', which reminded me of Martin.

After looking it up, apparantly that one was called Ted Lacey.

But the Bears reminded me of,,,,, well my owing Humbug the Bear when I still lived in Nottingham.

I went in a pub for a beer,,,, and went home with a bear,,,,

like the Mottisheads - the wife wasn't impressed !

• 1 year later...

Back in the early to mid seventies I used to work for Wigfalls as a driver's mate. We used to return TV's to customers. that had been repaired back at the Russell St. base. We did return Martin's TV at Sherwood Zoo on one occasion. Don't remember much, apart from he had a cracking looking wife. He had a massive landscape photograph of her on one wall lying down with a Leopard, wearing nothing but a leopard skin Bikini. I was an impressionable 17 year old at the time.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...