The population of Nottingham

Does anyone know the current population of Nottingham?

Also what was it say in the 1960's, how does it compare to today?

What area have grown and now become part of Nottingham.

I do know that the Clifton Estate expanded the boundaries of Nottingham when it was built, but how about other areas?

Just interested...that's all...

It seems that the 2011 census gave a city population of around 305,000. 2013 estimate is between 310/311,000. This of course does not include the surrounding districts that are continuously built up, but outside the city council administration - e.g. West Bridgford, Carlton/Netherfield/Gedling, Arnold, Nuthall, Beeston. It seems that adding these on (and possibly a few others) increases the population to about 730,000. I guess those with maps can say which bits of land have (like Clifton) been absorbed into the city over the years - the Geographia series always used to mark the local authority boundaries.

Not trying to be contentious or anything, but if the population has declined by twelve percent what happened? It should have increased if only by immigration. Did many of the 50s and 60s folks emigrate? I know I did and can name quite a few friends from the same period who did also. If I can think of several in my small circle, the actual rate might have been quite large. They were the days of ten pound trips to Aus'. Interesting topic. I would have expected the population of Nottingham and area to be much higher.

I think the decline can partly be explained by various baby booms, and I saw it in Clifton.

When I was a kid in the 50s & 60s, Clifton was full of families with several children, born to couples who had got married just after the war - including my parents. As those children (e.g. me) grew up in the 1970s and 80s, they moved away to do their own thing, but the parents stayed in the house they'd lived in since the 50s. So by the 1980s the population of Clifton was considerably less than it had been 20 years earlier; it had become almost a retirement estate with elderly couples who'd been there 40 years. The children had been ....... and gone.

The decline was in part caused by the £10 assisted passage to Aus, how many eastern europeans have invaded here in recent years I dread to think.

Bulwell somedays is like little Warsaw.

• Upvote 2

It may also be partly because the population density in the city is now lower, owing to folk moving to the suburbs mentioned earlier, that are outside the city council area. Think of Victorian terraced housing demolished and replaced by lower density property.

• 4 years later...

Last I heard it was around the 3/4 million mark but considerably more if you count temporary residents - students for example

Yes Brew, I recently heard that it's apparently near 900k, but I think that's stretching it a bit.

Here: http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/nottingham-population/

Slightly different view here: https://nottinghaminsight.org.uk/population/

May depend upon how you define 'Nottingham'

Students spend at least £50 per week on eating out, buying groceries and boozing.  That is a massive contribution  to the local economy, which costs the City little or nothing to maintain.

One of those links mentions 'Mosaic' and 'Experian' so there may be some extra 'guests' crawling around on here today!   

• Like 1