Thank you Jill, I wish I knew where Utopia was then I could come and bring you a saucer of cream/ milk. Then again you wouldn't want a 75 year old recycled teenager flirting !

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am so glad my sister told me about this site. Having just moved back after more years than I care to remember I am by myself a lot. I have joined a couple of things at the library which get me out t

As a newish member (joined October 14) I must say I enjoy this site. One thing I find (and perhaps it is just me) is that when I browse a subject and read the conversation you all obviously know each

Exactly how I felt Jonab, Now funny you said about translating back and forth , I have a similar problem. There are many situations, phrases and words that I have forgotten in English. Sometimes the w

3 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Yes, because if you go to the very top right corner where it will say Beekay, then click on 'sign out' on the drop down you'll be logged off instantly. Otherwise, it'll still show you as being online, when in fact your not. 

Thanks Fly2. Much obliged. B.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Otherwise, it'll still show you as being online, when in fact your not. 

Really? I have a laptop & iPad & I have never ever signed out? Everything  I regularly go on I'm already signed in when I click on it? If you go to settings you can click on the 'never save passwords' thingy button & delete all you browsing history before shutdown, if you need to? 

8 hours ago, Beekay said:

When one wants to go to bed and turn ones tablet off, does one have to sign out or just switch off the tablet. 

Welcome Beakay,  not sure you need to turn your tablet off, If it's an iPad it goes into hibernate mode, the lest time I switched my iPad off was when I chucked it though an airport bag scanner mid September,, only because I was told to? 

I have NS on three machines - my main (home-built) desktop, a laptop and a Kindle Fire.

I never sign out of any of them but, I use CCleaner occasionally which logs me out automatically as part of its cleaning process - it also logs me out of everything else.

Please don't think I never log out of anything. Sites with even the slightest security aspect I log out as soon as I've finished with them.

I always log out of NS when I am finished, but there has been the odd occasion I forget and drift off to another site.  When I eventually come back the screen comes up like I am still logged in and I remember I forgot to log out.  As soon as I try to do anything, like refresh the page the login screen comes up so I am assumimng that after a period of no activity you are automatically logged off.

It's nice to see some new members joining, and instilling new blood, views and memories into NS, and I hope that they remain with us.

However, I've pm'd four newbies over the last two months with information, and have only had one reply. Two of the other three haven't haven't even logged on since their initial post.

Is it me ? LOL

1 hour ago, FLY2 said:

However, I've pm'd four newbies over the last two months with information, and have only had one reply. Two of the other three haven't haven't even logged on since their initial post.

Is it me ? LOL

Looking at the history of the site overall, I'd say a 25% success rate is pretty good.  The total number of people who've registered and never come back is considerably more than 25%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, katyjay said:

I never log out and have never been asked to log back in. Must be an anomaly of your machine, Loppy.  

Could be, Katy.  I've always just assumed that NS timed out if there was no activity.  It will still log me out sometimes if I take too long writing a post or p.m.

Beekay..... No, I don't think you have opened a can of worms.  This is interesting.  Glad you are keeping posting.

I would like to keep posting if possible. I have been away from Nottingham for over 30 years now and though I still have my memories, I would hope I had something to contribute without boring folks silly. I try to get up to nottm. when I can to see my older brother, ( my two younger brothers have sadly passed away). Although I was a bus driver for four years, I hardly recognise the place now with the modernisation that's occurred. I still think that the market square was Better when it had the flower beds and underground toilets etc. I'll never forget my eldest lad being invited to the council house for tea when he was about 11. His invite said "if you wish to bring your parents, you may do so". I remember parking my battered old ford Anglia at the bottom of the council steps next to the l/ hand lion. Felt like the bee's knees !! ( Much to the embarrassment of 'er indoors). Cheers all.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I hope you keep posting Beekay as like you I have been away for 40 years apart from fleeting visits and it is interesting to read your observations of what you think Nottingham has become over the intervening years. Not all good unfortunately. I get lost digitally as I do a "googledrive" around a city and areas that I knew so well. Fortunately many of the rural villages in Notts have changed very little and are immediately recognisable even after all this time.

Thank you Oztalgian, I'll try even harder now I have a comrade in arms 'down under. This one of the things that amazes me, the fact that I can be in contact 24,000 miles away or someone in the next county. It's great to be able to join in on topics and converse with so many wonderful people. I'm filling up now so I'll shut up. Beekay.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Beekay, NS has done me a huge amount of good since I joined in January this year. My posts on page one of this thread (dated November 1st) elucidate this. A very important thing is that I have been able to relearn colloquial Nottingham (and English) - which I had all but forgotten and all from 'computer conversing' with fellow Nottstalgians.

• Like 3

I too have been away from Nottingham for 40+ years when I moved back. It has changed so much, especially the marker square, was surprised the flower beds had gone. I spent many lunchtimes there when I worked in the town when the weather was good. I have found the Nottstalgians are welcoming and the content is very interesting, especially with all the ex-pats. I’m afraid I have become addicted so much that I have to make myself log out to get things done,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I dip in out of NS between doing stuff that HAS to be done!  On some days, with the forum, Facebook and emails I do spend quite a lot of time on the internet.... more than I should really.   Of course, there are days when I'm busy outside of home and as my little phone doesn't have internet access, I can only catch up with NS when I get home again.

• Upvote 1

I usually log on first thing to see what has been posted and then later on in morning when I sit down to have a cup of tea and then find that an hour or so has gone by. But still the housework will be there later (unfortunately) it isn’t going anywhere.

• Like 2

Look out Nottingham, Beekay's coming up in December. Going to stay at Thoresby hall to meet up with family. Will try and have a ride on a tram if possible. Is it worth going into market square?, not that I recognise anywhere any more. Trouble is, nobody seems to remember me anymore.(wonder if I'm still on the wanted posters?). Did nobody attend class 4a at Radford boulevard in 1958?? Cheers one and all !! Beekay.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're quite excited  to visit Nottingham, BK.  We had a ride on a tram when we visited Nottingham last year and we thought it was very good except that we had to pay,  as it seems to only accept Notts bus passes!  I know there are sometimes problems with the tram and that many on here think it was a waste of money, but as visitors, we enjoyed the ride.  

We also liked seeing the market square when it was a 'seaside' venue complete with beach, water and some rides, but again I know that isn't popular with many on NS.   I suppose it will again host a Christmas market and ice rink in December.   We thought that was good, too, when we visited last year.

I used  to like the original market square when I lived in Nottingham, so I guess I'm just easy to please!  Funnily enough I still dream sometimes that I'm running over the old square to get my bus, but it's moving off and I know I'll not catch up with it....

Anyway, , I hope you'll enjoy your trip to the old place and also enjoy meeting up with family, too

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Beekay said:

not that I recognise anywhere any more. Trouble is, nobody seems to remember me anymore.( Cheers one and all !! Beekay.

Who are you ?

32 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Who are you ?

Don't you remember me delivering your persil, radient, comfort and sunlight soap etc !! Back in the day. B.

• Like 1

Margie, when I worked at SPD. One of my delivery areas was Ely. Had a very nice coffee in the cathedral last year, on my way to Thursford Christmas show. Had a very nice teacake too !! B.

• Like 1