Well, well, well, all these newbies joining from far flung areas, and some more local. Great.

We long term Nottstalgians must be doing something right to encourage new blood to the site.

They could be gluttons for punishment of course. LOL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am so glad my sister told me about this site. Having just moved back after more years than I care to remember I am by myself a lot. I have joined a couple of things at the library which get me out t

As a newish member (joined October 14) I must say I enjoy this site. One thing I find (and perhaps it is just me) is that when I browse a subject and read the conversation you all obviously know each

Exactly how I felt Jonab, Now funny you said about translating back and forth , I have a similar problem. There are many situations, phrases and words that I have forgotten in English. Sometimes the w

The crucial thing is whether they continue to post after first introducing themselves. For every regular and long-termer, there are unfortunately many more who tell us who they are, where they came from, where they are now..........and that's it. We never hear from them again.

• Upvote 3

Actually 20 folks have joined in the last week, 11 posted something, and 8 of those were a single post. I don't know what more can be done to encourage more postings, most newbies are welcomed by other members, then disappear.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank FLY2 for giving me a 'Like' on the post I made in this thread back in May 2015. (scroll back a bit to see it).

I think that sets a new record for the length of time taken to react to a post   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff. It's not that I'm slow to react, it's just the fact that having been confined to bed since Christmas afternoon, I've spent more time on here throughout the early hours just browsing and pondering. 

Some of the stuff people view at that time of the night just makes me wonder who we're dealing with. While looking at Who's on Line, one 'guest' was 'logging in'. 26 minutes later, that same guest was still logging in. (Yes, I'm that sad, that I kept flicking back). 

Now I'm definitely no IT or computer expert, but even I managed to register well within that time. 

Others will view a topic, and still be on it 30 minutes later, then disappear without browsing anything else. Perhaps they immediately found what they were looking for ! 

I'll tell you ALL though...... There's some weird bu66ers out there !

I beg to differ CT, but in the Christmas Presents, What You Really Wanted, Lizzie and Compo gave me a like on Dec 12 for a post I did in January 2008. We didn't do 'likes' then.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The good old days eh Kath !

We didn't know any different in those early days, no like feature, but you did wonder sometimes if anyone had read your post. I guess we can tell nowadays if someone has.

Yes, it's always nice to be appreciated or even recognised, but it's extremely overused. We shan't get into that old chestnut though.

• 9 months later...

Mary 1947, here's the topic for welcoming new members. A warm welcome to recent new additions.

• 2 weeks later...

Must be dull of under standing FLY2 Please explain

I think its because you welcomed a newbie in a different topic Mary, and I just pointed out the fact, that's all !

As a newish member (joined October 14) I must say I enjoy this site. One thing I find (and perhaps it is just me) is that when I browse a subject and read the conversation you all obviously know each other very well and I do feel like I would be butting in if I joined in conversation. Don’t take this as a critism, it isn’t, when I have joined in I have been welcomed, even got some likes, perhaps it is just a case of gaining confidence on the site?

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Thanks, I really enjoy this site, love the banter between you all. By the way, completely off subject, I know I am home somebody called me “meduck” yesterday, now I know I am at homesmile2

• Like 4

Stavertongirl, I was a complete noob here in January this year and at the time I felt a total interloper into other people’s conversations. This very quickly ended and I was accepted into ‘the fold’ very quickly indeed.

What I thought might be a problem turns out, in many ways, to be an advantage. I have not lived in Nottingham since 1979 – that was my first difficulty, no longer being a Nottinghamian. The second was that I have lived in the South of France for thirty years so that English had become my second language.

I visited England last December and it felt like I was in a foreign country trying to speak a foreign language (I had reached the stage many years ago when I was thinking in French) and, for a period at the beginning of that trip I was having to translate everything said to me into French and translate any reply back to English – not easy when you’re trying to have a casual pub or supermarket conversation.

While I was over on my last visit, for some reason now forgotten, I thought about Berni Inns so I Googled it and that’s how I found NS.

I was a bit hesitant at first but I very quickly got into things here and I now feel ‘part of the family’ (I hope other members feel the same about me).

NS has done me a huge amount of good in firstly bringing back my knowledge of colloquial English (it had gone a bit formal and textbook-like and seeing/hearing English on the telly is not the same) plus the ability to again think in English without having to translate into French and back again.

Another thing is that NS has revitalised my memory cells and I am now able to recall things about Nottingham that I thought had long disappeared from my mind (and occasionally from written Nottingham history).

Nottstalgia a good place. I just wish I had found it sooner.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

SG, dip yer bread mi duck, we all started out as newbies once, I did in 2012 and still have no idea how to post photos !! And it's great that so many folk have tried to initiate me into the dark art of something called cut and paste but all I can read is blah.. blah...blah !

You really get to understand the meaning of cyber friends, and I even managed to meet up with some of them occasionally.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Exactly how I felt Jonab, Now funny you said about translating back and forth , I have a similar problem. There are many situations, phrases and words that I have forgotten in English. Sometimes the words come easily when I've finishing talking and I remember them but it's annoying when I've forgotten the word I want. Listening to us at home ( English practically all the time) we do add words or phrases in Italian because they are the words or phrases that seem more appropriate and we hear so often so it may sound funny to some . My husband and daughter  carry on a conversation in Italian then revert to English .

SG don't worry about butting in, if it annoys anyone they will tell you. But it won't happen. I have met a few members when I went to Nottingham last January I wish I had met more but I was only there 3 days. They are all special in their own ways and do really care if you're ill. So don't leave us.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Everybody on this site was once a newcomer. It's what they do next which is more significant. 

After a while everyone drops into one of several categories.

1.  Those who disappear soon after introducing themselves and forget they ever registered here.

2.  The long-time lurkers who obviously find it interesting but very rarely post.

3.  The regulars who post often and who are known to everyone else. (aka The Bens).

4.  The long-serving members who appear from time to time and then disappear back into their hole for a few weeks.

5.  The nervous ones who gradually build up their confidence.

6.  Others.

• Like 5

I've found that the forgotten English words and phrases have, to a significant extent, returned since NS.

Regarding speaking at home, there are six of us here (four humans and two dogs). Mme is the concierge/cook. She is always called Mme (Madame). Her name is Rosie, I think. She speaks little English and most of that is swear words. Her husband, Philippe, looks after the heavier house duties (garden and building maintenance). He speaks a bit more English but it's a bit of a wasted effort to try and have a conversation - not easy in French, either! The other person is Thierry, my carer (am disabled and stuck in a wheelchair). He speaks reasonable English - certainly enough to cope with my visit to England last Christmas. The cleverest occupants of the household are the dogs. Obviously, they have a limited vocabulary but they understand both English and French.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2