A Lasting Memory of Nottingham

We all have I am sure lasting memories of the areas we lived in or visited during our younger days in Nottingham.

Just imagine.....

Wouldn't it be great then if someone could build a very large model showing the city as it was before development and showing lots of the old landmarks before they were swept away? A sort of 3D birds eye view, a larger version of the sort of thing model railways are built of.

We could then walk along all those forgotten streets again, or even do another circuit of the railway system...

Looking at some of the photographs & maps posted on here there seems to be enough reference material.

I suppose the biggest factor in these times is money.

It could be housed in somewhere like Wollaton Hall for instance.

Ahh well, back to my thoughts, off out with the dog...

• Upvote 5

In a similar vein I've said for donkeys years that a model village of Nottingham and the original castle from just before the Civil War would be a great tourist attraction.. built in the Castle grounds.

257zrdx.jpg

• Upvote 4

In these days of virtual reality and computer modelling maybe some geeky type could build a virtual Nottingham of any era you choose. Only problem is it would probably cost more in time and programming than anyone would be willing to pay for the resulting dvd.

• Upvote 6

#1 Smiffy this is a great idea. Since joining nottstalgia I have tried taking a Google street view tour of the city centre. Some parts I do not recognise and the most irritating thing is when the Google van gets stuck behind a bus and you cannot see the buildings! Also the van cannot go into the traffic free areas!

Hope so, Lizzie. Last time they came past my place I had just dug up the lawn, so the world saw lots of brown earth.

• Upvote 1

Good place to bury a bone, Chulla. No one would ever look under the lawn. Lol. Btw. Have you noticed we both have the same number of likes, hows that for a coincidence?

• Upvote 2

My most lasting memory of Nottingham is the enclosed pedestrian footbrige over Victoria Station through to Glasshouse Street. Not so much the bridge but the smell and sounds that linger in the memory......

• Upvote 5

That is also the only memory I have of Victoria Station. I have been told that I have been on the platforms but I can't remember it.

• 2 weeks later...

"Borrowed" from the excellent RCTS website. This is Victoria during demolition, with the public footbridge still standing. According to the caption, the pub is the White Hart on Glasshouse Street as mentioned by caladave above.

victoria.jpg

• Upvote 3

I was just 16 at the time and it was Xmas Eve. My friend and I went to the White Hart on Glasshouse street for a few bevvies before attending midnight mass (to sober up before daring to go home). After closing time we ambled (Staggered) up Mansfield road to Daybrook and managed to get to the church on Thackray's Lane just as the Mass was starting. We sobered up nicely by the end of the service and a good night was had by all. Incidentally, that was the last time I ever attended a mass in any catholic church.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Walked across it hundreds of times, from Union Rd to the city centre. Great shot by the way.