Nice olive tree, but is that a lovely wisteria trailing along the wall?

• Upvote 3

They're beautiful Lizzie, I didn't know you had such green fingers !

No PeverilPeril, City of Nottingham ........ it took some growing!

We bought the tree about 4 years ago and were told it was around 30 years old. The really harsh winter 3 years ago was a worry and we moved it to a sheltered corner and wrapped it up for several weeks but since then haven't had to worry about it, just a good watering occasionally.

The wisteria is always so pretty at this time of year, it is probably 40 or 50 years old and we (well my husband) has tidied it up and is training it all along the front of the house. There's one downside in that it grows so vigorously that later on in the summer he has to cut it back off the roof and chimney. He said his ambition is to get it to go right round the house!

• Upvote 6

I love wisteria, but it does need controlling as it will get in the eaves and under slates if not pruned.

I have just purchased a standed olive tree Lizzie it's about 36in high, I think I'll have to wait a few years

before it looks like yours.

• Upvote 1

You lucky gel, Lizzie. If I had known years ago what I know now (how much I love it) I would have planted a wisteria tree.

• Upvote 2

It's still a good showing though Lizzie.

I have three female and one male Kiwi fruit vines, this year will be the first year they have fruited, 16 year old vines too. Usually they bloom and the frost knocks them back.

Winters are too cold here for olives, we even lost a plum tree and a peach tree to very late hard frosts.

My peach is fruiting this year for the first time. It is planted into the soil in the greenhouse to protect it from the frost and winter storms. We have an olive but it is just a mere sapling and will probably never produce any fruit this far north.