• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who never lusted over Jane Fonda in Barbarella

Need a vacation?

The Wicker Man

There is a distinction between a film you like or have enjoyed to one that has obtained a cult status. Wikipedia describes it well.

"A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a cult following. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fanbase, an elaborate subculture that engage in repeated viewings, quoting dialogue, and audience participation."

Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness? - Anthony Newley

Bedazzled - the original with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore

The Producers - the original with Gene Wilder

• Upvote 1

Just because a certain number of like-minded people appreciate a certain film and endow it with cult status doesn't mean it is any good. Most 'cult films' from what I have seen are second-class, or even lower. It is a case of 'different equates to better' and it rarely does. Same sentiment also applies to music.

• Upvote 1

You are right Chulla.

Cult certainly does not confer any absolute greatness or approval onto a film. Easyrider is certainly a cult film for many reasons but I have always considered it to be a pretty average movie.

Sometimes a film just grabs a bunch of people at a certain point in time for no apparent reason and whose followers then display obsessive behaviours against it thus developing it into a cult. Cult followers are often horrified if their little discovered cult favourite attracts mainstream acclaim.

Quite often it is the very poor quality of the film that makes it attract a cult following. Some of the those bad sci ifi films from the 50s such as "Plan 9 from Out of Space" have a very definite following of cultists.

• Upvote 1

For some reason I can't explain, the 1959 film "The Tingler" always fascinated me. I don't watch modern Horror films but this is so ridiculously awful that it's funny

Not a cult movie nor was it made in the 1960's. Try something like Blow up or Deep End.

Hope you don't mind me metioning 'Private's Progress' and 'I'm Alright Jack'. They were made in the 50s too and as far as I know were not 'cult' movies. I enjoyed 'em though.

The Trap, The Train, Soldier Blue, Blow Up, The Wild Bunch. Beguiled, Play Misty For Me. Any good western, Klute,

• Upvote 1

Bet someone will make a 'movie' (could be a cult one) of the recent 'Hatton Garden' robbery,...........sadly the old 'Geezers' (two of em in their 70s) have been captured,

Deliverance, Convoy.