nice walks around nottinghamshire.

That was it Rog. I thought I was right. I remember in the 50's and early 60's when they had their own railway sidings.

Of course walking in the other direction from Attenborough is quite pleasant, as I often walk to Beeston Marina cafe, but I gather from another topic that there is now a cafe at the Beeston Lock House. Must give it a try at the earliest opportunity ! 

A cappuccino and a bacon cob, with HP sauce of course. Or maybe a sickly cream cake depending on the time of day.

They did,I think they came from somewhere near Attenborough station towards the front of the workshop opposite the main offices,I remember I was called over one day to cut "some steele" thats under the concrete they were digging up to put some new signs up, when I got there I found it was old railway lines,oxy/acetylene wouldn't touch it so they erected the sign a few feet further back and concreted back over the old lines

Rog

• Upvote 1

I loved it around there, as I lived on Crofton Rd, off Attenborough Lane when I left home in 68/9. 

• Like 1

Must admit I enjoyed working there then about 2002/3 they got another assistant manager who didn't have a clue and morale got lower and lower,I wasn't too bad because I was mobile covering a number of different sites but I certainly noticed a big difference when I had to go there,such a shame because it was like working in a big family, as for the quarrying side of things they finally finished digging raw material down near Cranfleet lock just beyond the old shooting ranges

Rog

I presume that the old site will soon be built on, and that nature will still thrive elsewhere in the area.

Attenborough Village Church is interesting, and some fascinating graves. Leon Luty, ex Notts footballer is there.

The house adjacent to the church has a blue plaque, and I believe it was once lived in by a relative of Oliver Cromwell.

Yes Den, I often frequent the Marina if I'm in that area. Good food, and lovely coffee.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2017 at 9:14 AM, FLY2 said:

The house adjacent to the church has a blue plaque

Did Henry Ireton (of civil war fame) come from Attenborough? I know there is a close or crescent named Ireton and not sure if Cromwells daughter or another famous civil war general/captain whatever got married in the church

Rog

According to the Beeston Local History website - 

Attenborough’s most famous son was Henry Ireton, the Parliamentary general, who was born in Attenborough in the house which survives next to the church and who married Cromwell’s daughter, Bridget.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Ireton is the one Rog. I'll have a look next time I'm in the area. Probably Thursday.

I am in a walking group for single people aged 50+. We walk Sunday's and Wednesday's mostly around Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Walks are usually around 8 miles. If you are interested in joining please send me a message.

But 'single' doesn't just mean 'not married' in this day and age.  It means not being in a relationship..

4 hours ago, plantfit said:

Did Henry Ireton (of civil war fame) come from Attenborough? I know there is a close or crescent named Ireton and not sure if Cromwells daughter or another famous civil war general/captain whatever got married in the church

Rog

My great grandfather, William Sparrow, was married for the first of 3 times at Attenborough Parish Church! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Good man go for it while you can mate........leave him alone Margie.........lol

Shan't, Ben.   Stop telling me what to do..... you bossy boots!

Den, so do both of you still go on these walks?   Sounds nice

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I remember when those graves were discovered,it was in the evening post and I think a bit of a military service was held, I live in the next village to Gonville Bromheads ancestral home (LT Bromhead along with LT Chard were officers comanding Rourkes Drift) so have a particular interest,

Ruddington is also worth visiting for the Stocking frame museum as well as the heritage transport museum,

Thanks for the reminder Ian

Rog

• Like 1