nice walks around nottinghamshire.

During my csection recovery, iv started to really enjoy walks again around the beautiful parts of Nottinghamshire. Now I'm 'better' we've enjoyed walks around places like rufford, newstead Abbey and last weekend we did the whole of clumber park. Gives me a chance to try and shift some baby weight, get Evelyn some fresh air and explore with Paige - we climb trees, look for fairies, play hide and seek, take some ball or outdoor games and a picnic. Iv really enjoyed it.

Wanted to know what your favourite walks around notts are! We're always on the hunt for somewhere new to explore. Bonus if they have flattish paths for the pushchair too!

• Upvote 1

There are loads of walks around Notts and the Derbyshire borders that might be suitable for you.

There are some good trails around Mansfield converted from old railway lines like Linby to Annesley, Moor Bridge through Bestwood Village and past Bestwood Ponds to Hucknall, the Teversal Trail and Skegby Trail, Five Pits Trail near Tibshelf, Blackwell Trail from Westhouses to Huthwaite, Southwell Trail past Farnsfield to Southwell. Then there is the Stockley trail from Bolsover to Bramley Vale

Other ideas include walks from Vicar Water at Forest Town - towards Mansfield or Clipstone, Papplewick to Ravenshead via Newstead Abbey grounds, walks around Moorgreen Reservoir towards Underwood or Annesley, Bulwell Hall Park and on to Hucknall, Strelley Village through to Awsworth or Kimberley, the Maun Valley Trail near Forest Town.

There are also canal walks like Nottingham Station to Trent Lock and Trent Lock towards Langley Mill (Erewash Canal) - though I appreciate you might have concerns with a young 'un in tow. A little further afield, the Cromford Canal from Ambergate to Cromford is really beautiful - as is the Chesterfield Canal west of Worksop.

Other nice walks further afield include the grounds of Shipley Park near Heanor (near where American Adventure used to be), Cresswell Crags, There are some nice walks around the Rother Valley Country Park south of Rotherham.

Some of these suggestions are very long, but you don't have to do the whole length in one go.

• Upvote 2

I really enjoy the walk from Beeston along the canal to Trent Bridge. Five miles of relaxed strolling and taking photos of the wild life and changing seasons. Until winter arrives with short days and it is too cold.

• Upvote 1

Like Notty Ash, I know many of those walks

My favourites are basically foot powered pub crawls, so maybe not suitable for kids in the pub recommendations.

To park in Moorgreen and to walk around the reservoir is a joy. It is astoundingly beautiful and if you are literary minded, ( DH Lawrences') Brangwen's cottage is just opposite the overspill wall. Lawrence certainly walked that path many times and it is largely unchanged. Selston to Kirkby Not by the roads, walk up from the White Lion then walk alongside the motorway to the footbridge and through the woods, it is a favourite of mine.

• Upvote 1

Notty Ash. I did all those walks with my grand-daughter and many more besides, including most of the Chesterfield canal that is still in existence. She walks the flippin' legs off me these days. We even walked the old (LD&ECR) railway line from Ollerton to Fledborough and beyond through some of the wildest scenery in Nottinghamshire. This is impossible now as it has been turned into a test track and is used by trains regularly.

• Upvote 1

We are blessed with lots of excellent walks in Notts - and the Peak District is right next door too. I tend to do really long walks in the summer. Caught the train to Burton-on-Trent and walked home from there last year! It was very flat most of the way, along canals. It was just the hilly bit at the end from Eastwood to Annesley and beyond that nearly killed me! 42 miles altogether.

There are some really good walking groups in Notts that are worth considering if you enjoy walking. It might be worth opening a thread to list them and their current rambles.

• Upvote 4

I belong to a walking group called Bootlace Buddies, it is for people over 50 and single. Although there are a few couples in the group. We walk every Sunday, average walks are 8 - 10 miles.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys! We really do love our walks, most of the places only cost for parking and my three year old loves exploring. It's great fun and easy on the pocket!

Tempted to go away for a weekend in the peak district, I remember camping there when a kid with my friend and their parents, we walks down monstral head?? It was great from what I remember, not sure if id get a pushchair on that walk though!

Pixie You would love the Monsal Trail, ideal for you with your push chair as it is now a purpose built track mainly along the old railway route. It is mainly a smooth asphalt surface. There is plenty to see you even go through the old railway tunnels.

When I lived in Nottingham I used to use printed walks guides issued by the council and kept at libraries. I think they were free at the time but probably cost a few pence each now. they covered some lovely walks around fields and lanes around the county. They varied from a couple of miles to about ten miles but all were circular walks. ie take you back to your start point without retracing your steps. Using the leaflets guides I discovered many parts of the county I would not have seen without them.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Couldn't find a suitable home for this post,but as Notty Ash and others give it a mention... Yonks ago my Mum gave me several items of Langley Mill pottery..which I do display- looked on e- bay today...worth a few Bob!!

Anyone know it's history.. Ta,Ian.

I know it was eventually bought by Denby Pottery which is still going strong and pretty close to where I live.

My partner has some Langley Mill pieces and says it was quite popular in the days when he did antiques fairs. I'm not that keen on it personally but I believe, in good condition, it commands a fair price.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Attenborough nature reserve didn't exist until quarrying for sand and gravel extraction started in 1926 and it would have been a good few years after that in reality,most of the extracted sand and gravel went to help build most of Nottingham from the 1930's onwards including the Queens medical center and the Radcliffe on Soar power station,the first extraction site started in Nottinghamshire eventually finishing in Derbyshire, I think the original name was Trent Gravels,then Butterly aggregates then RMC aggregates and finally Cemex materials,it finished extraction/production last year 2016

Rog

• Like 1

Rog, I'm certain I've seen a little loaded barge type boat when I've been walking my daughters dog, but maybe my mind is playing tricks and it was last year. Attenborough is a fantastic place to visit, but I initially turn right over the railway crossing and walk towards Long Eaton. I then occasionally carry on to Trent Power Box adjacent to the railway, and end up at the Trent and on to Trent Lock. 

A lovely walk with plenty to see, but tiring on the way back ! 

You probably did see the tugboats and dumb barges last year as they were bringing the last loads of sand and gravel back to the processing plant from the dig at Long Eaton, the journey was about four miles I think and each dumb barge carried upto 100 tons of raw material

Rog