Article about Nottingham Lingo

Following on from my original post I decided to have a look for the book. I tried one or two shops and then the Tourist centre who directed me to a shop I didn’t realised existed call “Five Leaves”. It is an independent bookshop off Long Row in the alleyway at the side of “The Works.” Although they didn’t have it in stock the lady was very helpful and offered to order it for me. I thought at only £3.99 I couldn’t really go wrong. I ordered on Wednesday afternoon and on Friday afternoon they rang me to say it had arrived. I couldn’t believe they got it so quickly.
Anyway the book is packet sized with around 80 pages of which there are 22 pages of local dialect/sayings (approx. 200). The remaining pages are about various aspects of the county including occupations, pastimes and place names. A thorough bargain in my opinion and I would highly recommend “Five Leaves” for their assistance and speed in which they got the book.

She probably thought we were into beastiality, what with her coming from a big family in the Smokey Mts. LOL

I love her though, a great songwriter and an absolute legend.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Call me an old grumpy guts, but if I read yet another newspaper article about Nottingham's accent and vernacular; rehashing what has been said countless times before; I promise I shall not be responsible for the consequences.

• Upvote 5

#11 Very true iandawson. I was born in Nottingham and brought up in Bilborough. My mum and grandfather both had very broad Yorkshire accents so that is how I learned to speak. Now people still think I am from Yorkshire and someone had a guess saying I came from about 5 miles outside Leeds. That is where mum came from! Our accents are part of our personal heritage, something to celebrate.

• Upvote 1

I had the misfortune to be in Fuengerola Spain a few years ago, and as a group of us walked on to the sea front, two Time Share sellers shouted to me " Ilkeston " ...... I replied 'Pi55 Off...... Basford' ...... That quietened them down.

• 1 year later...