I miss Fogriders input too, we seem to have lost quite a few good/interesting posters recently who expertise in their field is surely missed

Rog

• Like 2
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see you back Ben and in good form. When I was wooing the to-be Mrs WW she worked in a greengrocery shop. Which meant 5 days a week she was out at 5am, down to Sneinton fruit and veg with

Of course it wasn't all hard graft,sometimes you got to meet some really nice people like this rep at a construction equipment show in Derbyshire for Duo Africa     I'm the one on

Re Troggs' mention of Harry Hyman being our areas executive council member , I went to a union meeting one night, in Centrals' bar, there was a long debate about pay and conditions chaired by Harry. E

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, plantfit said:

I miss Fogriders input too, we seem to have lost quite a few good/interesting posters recently who expertise in their field is surely missed

Rog

Well, I'm humbled. I've just been looking for the photo of the Overseas Column in Centrals yard (didn't find it ) and saw this post. In reality, the small number of people abusing the site is minimal in relation to the lovely and interesting people who make this site so interesting . So, spat over,  back to great memories of Nottingham and it's life.

Regards all.....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, fogrider said:

Re Ian123's great photo of Blue watch, Central,1938, I mixed up Hull City Police/Fire Brigade with Nottingham, I don't think Nottingham was ever a Police Fire Brigade.

My apologies to those I misled.

It's pre-war AFS uniform, the 'sergeants ' markings would be in red. Same period, 1938 to August 1941.

The I think the guy, dead centre is George Hodson, who was Deputy Chief at the time of the Dakins fire , 1969, and soon after Chief Fire Officer. I remember  him telling me he was in the AFS.

This is a bit late, but Nottingham WAS a Police fire Brigade back from the early part of the 19th century. The Chief Constable being responsible for the running of the brigade. That ended in 1941 when the National fire service was formed. I get there in the end...….

• 1 year later...

I think I've still got my business cards somewhere... If i remember they were part of Dunlop and absorbed into National Tyres.

Sneinton House was next door and every day there was some poor sod sleeping in the back of a van.

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:00 AM, IAN123. said:

The Empress Roller Skate Rink...Glasshouse St.59758522-2831341586882089-71687466984857After the fire destroyed the building in 1910..Central Market took it's place.

Nice to know what was there before the central market took its place , used to slip through them shutter railings when it was closed, yes i was a little scallywag !