10RB, 10 ton Drag line, worked on them some years ago, 3 cylinder long stroke Ruston engine, re-built one once and when I fired it up the engine ran that smooth and slow it puffed smoke rings out of the stack, lovely memories, can tell you some tales about quarry life

north_ings1_(1).jpg

north_ings1_(2).jpg

Try to imagine sitting in the cab next to the clutch bands and wheels spinning and all that dust coming off them,plus the engine is just behind you,hot oil  and exhaust fumes

Rog

• Like 2
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see you back Ben and in good form. When I was wooing the to-be Mrs WW she worked in a greengrocery shop. Which meant 5 days a week she was out at 5am, down to Sneinton fruit and veg with

Of course it wasn't all hard graft,sometimes you got to meet some really nice people like this rep at a construction equipment show in Derbyshire for Duo Africa     I'm the one on

Re Troggs' mention of Harry Hyman being our areas executive council member , I went to a union meeting one night, in Centrals' bar, there was a long debate about pay and conditions chaired by Harry. E

Got a call from the quarry face some year back now telling me the 22 (22 ton Ruston Bucyrus face shovel) wouldn't start, this was just after the morning breaktime, driver said he suspected some muck in the engine,so off I went with the relevant tools for cleaning fuel traps, air intakes etc, it was about half a mile walk to the face, when I got there I asked the driver where it was, over there he pointed, bloody thing was only buried under the face wasn't it, the face had collapsed while he was having his lunch break,he never tracked the machine away from the face, he was right about one thing though, there was muck in the engine and everywhere else for that matter

Rog

• Like 2

A bus driver once asked in the depot where his conductor was ? He's in the loo was the reply. He was, he had crashed a bus in to the ladies loo, trying to be helpful & bring the bus down the depot on a wet slippery depot floor !

Thankfully there were no ladies in there at the time powdering their noses !

• Like 2

I know these last few posts have nothing to do with fires but I'm on a roll, this is a rare one, It's a Priestman long reach excavator,they were starting to experiment with hydraulics and starting to move away from wire rope operated machinery, this one was hydraulic for the bucket and dipper arm the rest was wire operated, I had the misfortune to do some repair work on this to the wire rope winding gear,finished up with more black finger nails than the Harlem globetrotters

April_11_003.jpg

This picture was taken from the framed picture in the office

Rog

• Like 2

This was delivered to us one day, CAT 330BL long reach excavator,what a shed, there was more muck in the cab than there was in the quarry, funny thing is this machine was delivered brand new in 1998 to Attenborough quarry Nottinghamshire, it was one of the first long reach in the country, reason for the long reach was the need for less hopper movements along the conver belts,it took about three hours to extend or strip back a conveyor but by using a long reach you could excavate more raw material before needing a conveyor move if that makes sense,only downside was the bucket could only hold about five ton as opposed to the eight or nine ton of the standard boom

CAT_330.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

I used to repair and service them, can operate them but not in a production capacity, need to be able to put them through their paces in order to be able to repair them

Rog

• Like 2

RE IAN123 's previous post referring to Trevor Newton, yes I remember him at Central, joined after me, always well liked , still in touch now and then . He became Deputy Chief . Had a good walk 'round Central with him on the final closing event. 

Any photo's of that event for this 'fires' (and plant !)  section ?

• Like 3

I remember in the mid to late 60's a fire officer with the name Hyman or similar, does the name ring any bells fogrider, think he was based at central

Rog

14 hours ago, plantfit said:

A two cyclinder Ruston engine I had a few year back to restore, fitted in a boat after I finished it

Ruston_engine_(1).jpg

Rog

Smashing Rog...........i'll just go and weigh some Butter...........lol

• Like 2

Pleased you like the engine Ben, I just knew that type of thing would appeal to you, glad to see you back mate, might need some advice from you about an old Petter A1 petrol engine I'm restoring at the moment so keep your eyes open

Rog

• Like 2

Good to see you back Ben and in good form.

When I was wooing the to-be Mrs WW she worked in a greengrocery shop. Which meant 5 days a week she was out at 5am, down to Sneinton fruit and veg with the boss and load the van up. On the way back stop off at the cash n carry, pick up 2 kerbstone sized blocks of cheese and half a pig. Back at the shop unload it all (56 lb bags of spuds into the display bins) plus apples oranges etc. Then de-bone the pig and separate the pork cuts, ready them for the manual bacon slicer (the type with the big red flywheel on the front). Using a slotted marble tabled cheese slice, cut the cheese into 1lb blocks and wrap them. Then slice enough bacon, ham etc for the day. That done it was about 8:30am, ready to start the days work.

• Like 5